Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spacesaver spare wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a trip to southern Spain from the UK. Being "old school" i don't fancy undertaking a 4000 mile trip without a spare wheel, so I'm wondering if a spacesaver wheel is available for the model 3 (18“)?

Has anyone has one of these, perhaps you could share where you purchased from?

Obviously I will also require a jack & wheel brace. Any thoughts on the suitability of a standard scissor jack, or a small hydraulic bottle jack for such a heavy car. .

Most people here that want one of those seem to purchase from a company called "modern spare".

Note that I am not making any endorsement or anything, just telling you what I read since I read most threads in the model 3 section... for obvious reasons.

Most people here that want one of those seem to purchase from a company called "modern spare".

Note that I am not making any endorsement or anything, just telling you what I read since I read most threads in the model 3 section... for obvious reasons.
I appreciate your prompt response and recommendation, however I reside I the UK, so sadly that supplier is not feasible.

Thanks for your input.

I got a 2016 Hyundai Genesis 18" compact spare on eBay, which has the same lug spacing as the Model 3, but you want to taper the lug holes to match the nuts. Also a Porsche jack in a donut from eBay. You can shave the nipple from oval to round to fit the Tesla. The donut fits inside the compact spare. There are threads on both finding a compact spare as well as the jack. A bottle jack would have a hard time fitting under the car, I would think. I bring a couple pieces of IPE wood, to drive the car up on, just in case I get a flat, to give enough clearance for the jack. I also carry plug kit, and 12v air pump.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Kevy Baby
I have the modern spare tire, and it does take some space, but i was able to fit a weeks long luggage for my toddle and wife and myslef making good use of the frunk, its not aweful big, and a medium luggage set will slide on top, but not a big one, the big one had to go on its side next to it or against the trunk opening also on its side. I liked the peace of mind i got from having it, good trade off for the space

modern spare is great. imho a must for extensive road tripping... the chances of road side assistance picking up you in the middle of nowhere in under 3hrs or that the local tire place in a small village has Model 3 tires in stock... slim to none

I appreciate your prompt response and recommendation, however I reside I the UK, so sadly that supplier is not feasible.

Thanks for your input.
Do you mean not feasible from a cost standpoint? I ask because they do ship internationally...to UK it was around an additional $220 on top of the approx. $400 for the wheel kit (prices for the Model 3 varies from $380 to $430). I have one for my P and they are really great kits. If my journey takes me further than the 200 miles my free recovery service will collect me, this wheel comes with me. It does take up some trunk (boot) space but for peace of mind its great! I also take a plug kit in case the tire can be repaired (ie no damage to sidewall). Enjoy your trip to Spain! I drove from London to Madrid a few years ago and had a blast. Crossing the Pyrenees through the Basque country was great...fantastic food!

Last edited:

Attachments

• PXL_20211103_072841438.jpg
    PXL_20211103_072841438.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I ordered this one last week and I'm currently running around in it as I have a wheel in to be fixed. 18" TESLA MODEL 3 NON-PERFORMANCE 2017 > 2021 K.O.M SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL & TYRE KIT - Tyremen

Delivery was quick, I didn't use the scissor jack as I changed at home using my trolley jack. I imagine it would be fine with the pucks in an emergency. It doesn't look too terrible on the car either
That looks like great value!! Very very similar to the US modern spare! I'd buy that if I was in UK!