Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spaceship like controls... hint from Model 3 Design sketches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They'll only do it if it improves the driving experience, and if that is the case, I can't wait. I will say that I often feel (especially in a straight line) that the top 25% of the steering wheel does nothing except get in the way. I know it's a big change, but I'm excited about this.
I'm just saying that given this car is supposed to be for a larger audience, and Elon promised to not be too adventurous, this might be a bad idea.

They'll only do it if it improves the driving experience, and if that is the case, I can't wait. I will say that I often feel (especially in a straight line) that the top 25% of the steering wheel does nothing except get in the way. I know it's a big change, but I'm excited about this.

Maybe you haven't adjusted your driving position correctly if the wheel is in the way? Not trying to be rude but that's something that really isn't an issue for me.

And driving in straight line isn't the issue, it's the turns when you need the wheel :p

I sure hope it's not like what was done in 1982. I read from somewhere that the Hoff hated driving the damn yoke.

0001-KITT-Interior.jpg

I sure hope it's not like what was done in 1982. I read from somewhere that the Hoff hated driving the damn yoke.

0001-KITT-Interior.jpg

Oh my god, how did you get sneak peek of the spaceship-like model 3 controls!? :eek: I hope you don't get fired from Tesla Motors! o_O

(don't worry, I do know my Knight Rider) I can understand that it wasn't probably nice to drive, we could see many times in shots how he had to turn the "wheel" over many times and when you have so little space to grab on it'll be pain.

• Funny
Reactions: modamoda and Genshi
Here's a nice writeup on FBW (fly by wire) sidesticks.
Active Sidestick Controls Make Commercial Debut
One big plus is that it allows for fine tuning the "steering experience" though software. Sound familiar?
Robin
HA! Directly quoted from that article : "Removing the control yokes allows for larger flight displays and—in the latest cockpits—pilots can be moved closer to the instrument panels, allowing use of touchscreens."

• Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel
I think I noticed it before but never mentioned it on the forums. In this sketch it seems like they have a cut top steering wheel design that appears to be mounted to a shaft. Maybe this could telescope down under the dash and out of sight. Just some thoughts, interested in what you all think this might signify, if anything, and if there's anyone who knows more about these types of steering wheels feel free to chime in. I at least know they seemed to go with that touchscreen design that is sketched here and remember a video clip the night of the reveal event where one of the engineers said they went back and forth about that screen and then decided to keep it and intended it for the final production design. View attachment 181639
Exactly what I was thinking, hidden steering wheel! He does say huge focus on Autonomous!

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK
Exactly what I was thinking, hidden steering wheel! He does say huge focus on Autonomous!

He's also stated that they have no intention of taking away the ability of people to drive. Granted, hidden steering wheel by itself doesn't remove that ability but I'd rather just but my hands on the wheel (well, at this point they should never be off the wheel) and take over than wait for 30 seconds for the controls to present themselves.

For me, it just feels like a party trick that gets old really quick.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I was thinking retractable wheel, but that will never happen-too much cost.
Cost is negligible for a retractable wheel on a drive by wire system. The more important factor jkk_ touched on was the danger it poses when you need to take over immediately in an emergency situation.

Google gets away with not having a wheel because the cars go at super low speeds and have no balls.

• Funny
Reactions: jvonbokel and jkk_
Having flown aircraft with sidestick controls it really is a lot more intuitive than people would think. Completely opens up the area in front of the pilot (driver) for whatever information you might want to put there (HUD, whatever). Yes, it would be a big jump from what people are used to seeing in a car but it really is a much more relaxed position to steer since your arm naturally rests at your side, not raised in front of you.

We'll see what comes down the pike.

Dan

Having flown aircraft with sidestick controls it really is a lot more intuitive than people would think. Completely opens up the area in front of the pilot (driver) for whatever information you might want to put there (HUD, whatever). Yes, it would be a big jump from what people are used to seeing in a car but it really is a much more relaxed position to steer since your arm naturally rests at your side, not raised in front of you.

Dan

Maybe the pre-order gift is complimentary lessons that will be required for one to be certified model 3 pilot :D

Edit: I'm just wondering how well those sidestick controls would work in sudden situations. I'd reckon that when you are scared you easily overreact which might cause the car to drive off road. On the sky there are [citation needed] less things that will suddenly jump in front of you and cause you to be alarmed. Also there's a lot less obstacles to hit in the air than on ground [citation needed].

Dan

Same here, rated on an Airbus with the sidestick and fly by wire. BUT i have to say i loved the controls on the Boeing plane before.
During windy approaches much better handling und even FUN! With the Airbus and so many computers between your sidestick input and the outcome at the control surfaces its sometimes (in adverse weather cond.) much more challenging to get the airplane doing what YOU want and not what the flight computers want.
Ok, now back to topic - sorry ;-)

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel

Dan
since new tesla drivers (and not so new) seem not to find the accelerator and brake pedals intuitive, I would hesitate to assume a totally different style of steering "wheel" would work for the general public

I think what many of you are talking about falls into what Elon would call a "weirdmobile", which he explicitly stated he will not build. Given that, i expect no side stick for certain and find it extremely unlikely to have a cut steering wheel. Design drawings like these really need to be taken with a grain of salt and i think many of you are putting too much stock in them.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Mercedes made a lot of tests with sidestick driving in simulators and with prototypes. Turns out that the results were quite positive, especially amongst young drivers. Here's an old Video:

I wouldn't mind a sidestick. Sure would take a little time to get used to, but you know what? That's what Progress feels like :)

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” Henry Ford

I've seen a lot of handicap minivans with joysticks...

What happens with left handed people in the US or right handed people in Europe? I guess it's a moot point because the Model 3 isn't drive by wire so sidestick / joy stick is not an option.

Pure speculation here but I think every car I've ever been in, the driver must look through the top part of steering wheel to see the instrument cluster. Maybe they'll just move the gauges to a smaller LCD on the steering wheel. It would have the same functionality as the model S binnacle at a reduced cost for a smaller screen. Turning wouldn't be an issue because people don't look at their instruments in the middle of a turn. You can't see the instruments in a normal configuration while turning anyway. The orientation would be right side up when people would actually use it.

A pressure-sensitive steering wheel that hardly moved at all would function identically to a sidestick and without the weirdness, or at least, without most of the weirdness. No right hand left hand issues either. But, it would depend on a drive by wire system and I'm not sure that's entirely legal yet. Might still require manual reversion.
Robin