Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spaceship like controls... hint from Model 3 Design sketches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is one significant problem with a vehicle joystick control that the right-handed majority tend to be unawaRE OF: in left hand drive cars with a joystick center mounted, that's fine for right-handlers but many left-handers will face a steep learning curve for a safety critical skill.

Not really. All left-seat pilots in yoke or side-stick aircraft fly left-handed (and right-seat folks fly right handed) due to having only a single set of throttle/propeller controls in the center. Switching is not difficult.

On top of that, anybody who drives manual transmissions already regularly steers with their "outside" hand due to needing to shift with their "inside" hand. Which for LHD cars, is steering with their left hand. Unless you have muscular motor control issues, switching between dominant/non-dominant is not going to be that difficult.

I'd love to get a joystick designed car.

The centre tunnel, which the Model S and Model X didn't have in the beginning), seems rather large just to be there.
Seems pretty wide just to let your arms rest on it and not use it more to put the car controles on by joystick.

And you remove the risk of lower limbs injury by removing the need for pedals.

Forward push for accalerating, pull to brake or reverse.

Easy pease, a 5 year old could start driving (O no, more danger on the roads :D )

• Disagree
Reactions: Garlan Garner
So I suspect the Model 3 will have a small LCD built into the steering wheel with all the relevant dashboard information.
Behold, the future!
post-17-12779290200.jpg

I'd love to get a joystick designed car.

The centre tunnel, which the Model S and Model X didn't have in the beginning), seems rather large just to be there.
Seems pretty wide just to let your arms rest on it and not use it more to put the car controles on by joystick.

And you remove the risk of lower limbs injury by removing the need for pedals.

Forward push for accalerating, pull to brake or reverse.

Easy pease, a 5 year old could start driving (O no, more danger on the roads :D )

Here's a picture of a fellow Tesla driver flying my Cirrus airplane, which has essentially a joystick controller. It took me a good 30 seconds to get used to it after flying with standard stick or wheel controls all my life. It's less stressful, you can use fine muscle control in your fingers rather than crude arm muscles, It's out of the way making it easy to put maps in your lap and see the primary flight display without interference. Pilot flies with his left hand, copilot with his right -- it's not difficult to move from pilot seat to copilot seat and immediately feel comfortable flying with the other hand. There's an armrest built into the door allowing you to rest your hand right where it needs to be without muscle strain.

upload_2016-6-24_0-13-11.png

Here's a picture of a fellow Tesla driver flying my Cirrus airplane, which has essentially a joystick controller. It took me a good 30 seconds to get used to it after flying with standard stick or wheel controls all my life. It's less stressful, you can use fine muscle control in your fingers rather than crude arm muscles, It's out of the way making it easy to put maps in your lap and see the primary flight display without interference. Pilot flies with his left hand, copilot with his right -- it's not difficult to move from pilot seat to copilot seat and immediately feel comfortable flying with the other hand. There's an armrest built into the door allowing you to rest your hand right where it needs to be without muscle strain.

View attachment 182420

I wish I could believe that billions of people each day are straining muscles to drive.

Maybe they are straining their muscles by texting while driving - I can believe that.
Maybe they are straining their muscles by doing their hair in the rear-view mirror - I can believe that.
Maybe they are straining their muscles by eating out of a plate with two hands while driving - I can believe that
Maybe they are straining their snoring muscles while driving...I can now believe that.

But there's no way I believe people are straining their muscles with power steering. In my opinion - and I might be alone on this - If steering a car puts too much strain on your muscles - then you don't need a license.

That is ludicrous. ( l love using that word - I can't wait )

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jkk_
I wish I could believe that billions of people each day are straining muscles to drive.

etc etc....
In the plane, after ten hours in the air flying across the continent, it really does take a lot of strain off the muscles. You don't get out at the end of the day with your shoulders all tied up in knots. Of course the autopilot alleviates quite a bit of this, even though I keep my hand touching the controls just to keep track of what the autopilot is doing.

I launched for the east coast two days after I got my MS. By the end of the third day on the road, I was definitely feeling some soreness in my left arm. I suspect that autopilot would help here too. Anyone have any experience with long road trips on autopilot?

I launched for the east coast two days after I got my MS. By the end of the third day on the road, I was definitely feeling some soreness in my left arm. I suspect that autopilot would help here too. Anyone have any experience with long road trips on autopilot?

Absolutley. AP cuts muscle tiredness in the shoulders and upper arms, caused by reaching out to the steering wheel. Of course, this is probably personal, because I normally drive with my hands on the upper half of the wheel (isn't that how we are supposed to drive?). With AP, I lay my hands on my legs with my fingers on the lower part of the wheel so if anything goes wacko (and you learn where that might begin), you are already holding the wheel. My consciousness already notices the paved over lines, the worn off lines, the slight hills that prevent the car from "seeing" the lines very far, or the vehicle with its tires over the line into my lane, etc. But since I don't have to do that constantly, as when I myself am doing the driving, its very relaxing.

If you haven't driven AP, you might not understand all this, but if you have, you get it. AP is not true autopilot, and things do go wacko. The car will, for no apparent reason, start to drive off the road, or start wandering, looking for its lane. Bright sun in your eyes with dark shade make it wonder where things are. If you are looking for perfect AP, no one has it yet, so don't buy a car, I guess, but it does have a lot of benefits.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Absolutley. AP cuts muscle tiredness in the shoulders and upper arms, caused by reaching out to the steering wheel. Of course, this is probably personal, because I normally drive with my hands on the upper half of the wheel (isn't that how we are supposed to drive?). With AP, I lay my hands on my legs with my fingers on the lower part of the wheel so if anything goes wacko (and you learn where that might begin), you are already holding the wheel. My consciousness already notices the paved over lines, the worn off lines, the slight hills that prevent the car from "seeing" the lines very far, or the vehicle with its tires over the line into my lane, etc. But since I don't have to do that constantly, as when I myself am doing the driving, its very relaxing.

If you haven't driven AP, you might not understand all this, but if you have, you get it. AP is not true autopilot, and things do go wacko. The car will, for no apparent reason, start to drive off the road, or start wandering, looking for its lane. Bright sun in your eyes with dark shade make it wonder where things are. If you are looking for perfect AP, no one has it yet, so don't buy a car, I guess, but it does have a lot of benefits.
Muscle tiredness? I suppose that later in life...I might experience that. For right now AP is simply cool. I've never said....I don't want to drive here and/or there because driving makes my muscles tired.

I know pencils are way up, however I wouldn't mind if Tesla's spaceship feel was pulled directly out of this Mercedes.

I absolutely hate HUD's, however this one could probably grow on me.

That bar around the middle kinda looks like the M3's bar.

View attachment 201267
I would definitely mind. All those quilted, pillowed, buttons on the seats truly get on my nerves. And, let's face it, Mercedes-Benz isn't giving up on the triumvirate of center mounted air vents anytime soon, no matter what that image shows of... 'The FUTURE!'

I know this opens me up to abundant criticism, but a new steering wheel design, like removing DVD drives from laptops and the headphone jacks from iphones (and adding falcon wing doors, for that matter) is a design that offers an abundance of benefits that people will naturally rebel against because they are humans and humans tend to struggle with change. In the end the wisdom of the design will be obvious and applauded by most and rejected by only the curmudgeony few.

I would definitely mind. All those quilted, pillowed, buttons on the seats truly get on my nerves. And, let's face it, Mercedes-Benz isn't giving up on the triumvirate of center mounted air vents anytime soon, no matter what that image shows of... 'The FUTURE!'
Yeah, I agree about the seats however I was speaking of the spaceship type displays only. That information bar that circles the cockpit looks like the M3 bar and also the "a-hem" hud display. ( I still dislike hud's - however I'm willing to be fair to those that like them ).

Reactions: Red Sage
Yeah, I agree about the seats however I was speaking of the spaceship type displays only. That information bar that circles the cockpit looks like the M3 bar and also the "a-hem" hud display. ( I still dislike hud's - however I'm willing to be fair to those that like them ).
Yeah. I figured that is what you meant. But most people I've met have a very narrow field of vision compared to my own. Sometimes it seems I must be part gecko... It amazes me, but people would undoubtedly complain about having to turn their head too far to read one part of the display or another with that layout. As it is, they have already complained about the landscape arrangement saying they would be distracted by having to look so far toward the center of the car. I wouldn't have that problem at all.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner