Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spaceship like controls... hint from Model 3 Design sketches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pure speculation here but I think every car I've ever been in, the driver must look through the top part of steering wheel to see the instrument cluster.

Prius certainly is an exception. I have one, and it doesn't bother me one bit. By not constraining the instruments behind the wheel, they can use a smaller steering wheel, which I actually like quite a bit, and it can sit lower.

But, I would not like the devil-horned steering wheel on the M3 concept drawing with the top part missing.

toyota-2015-prius-persona-los-angeles-whittier-california.jpg

Last edited:
I think what many of you are talking about falls into what Elon would call a "weirdmobile", which he explicitly stated he will not build. Given that, i expect no side stick for certain and find it extremely unlikely to have a cut steering wheel. Design drawings like these really need to be taken with a grain of salt and i think many of you are putting too much stock in them.
This is great news if its true.

Mercedes made a lot of tests with sidestick driving in simulators and with prototypes. Turns out that the results were quite positive, especially amongst young drivers. Here's an old Video:

I wouldn't mind a sidestick. Sure would take a little time to get used to, but you know what? That's what Progress feels like :)

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” Henry Ford
OMG....I would kill my self with a sneeze.

Maybe they'll just move the gauges to a smaller LCD on the steering wheel.
So I'd have to take my eyes even further off the road?

Steering wheels with radio and volume control buttons often have small bumps for the same reason F and J keys on a keyboard have bumps, so you can feel where you are without looking. Making a driver not only look further from the road, but also try to refocus on a closer object, is a recipe for disaster (especially for the older crowd that can't focus up close).

Reactions: GSP and Alketi
Yeah, no screens on the steering wheel, no thanks.

I don't believe that they would just stick the 15" ipad to the center of the console and call it a day like they showed at the reveal. I think they would try to utilize the long horizontal strip running along the far edge of the dashboard. Perhaps the area above the steering wheel could contain a transparent OLED screen, perhaps a pop-up, perhaps some sort of hybrid HUD.

Yeah, no screens on the steering wheel, no thanks.

I don't believe that they would just stick the 15" ipad to the center of the console and call it a day like they showed at the reveal. I think they would try to utilize the long horizontal strip running along the far edge of the dashboard. Perhaps the area above the steering wheel could contain a transparent OLED screen, perhaps a pop-up, perhaps some sort of hybrid HUD.
I love this idea. This would be perfect.

So I'd have to take my eyes even further off the road?

Steering wheels with radio and volume control buttons often have small bumps for the same reason F and J keys on a keyboard have bumps, so you can feel where you are without looking. Making a driver not only look further from the road, but also try to refocus on a closer object, is a recipe for disaster (especially for the older crowd that can't focus up close).

No you wouldn't have to move your eyes further away than you already do. Currently you have to look through the upper portion of the steering wheel to see the gauge cluster. That's where the LCD could go. Basically in the hollow area right above the airbag.

I hear you on the sun making it unusable, but the HUD is a very real possibility. Let's hope whatever happens it's well implemented. Whatever it is we know it won't be normal. With all the hints from Elon, it just can't be.
Yeah - I trust Elon to do whatever is right with this car. He has his whole company riding on it, and so he will have thought out each decision and considered many scenarios in which it will be used. The guy can put satellites into space after all...

Actually I drive a Toyota Prius which has everything above the wheel... no looking through the wheel at anything.

I also have a Prius (V) and it took a little while to get used to looking at the display in the center of the dashboard towards the windshield.
Now I find whenever I drive my wife's Acura looking thru the steering wheel to be distracting and a much worse UI. People will adapt quickly to whatever the Model 3 has.

Reactions: jvonbokel and Booga
I also have a Prius (V) and it took a little while to get used to looking at the display in the center of the dashboard towards the windshield.
Now I find whenever I drive my wife's Acura looking thru the steering wheel to be distracting and a much worse UI. People will adapt quickly to whatever the Model 3 has.
This, absolutely.

Some of these decisions could be controversial, but I'm sure that if Tesla puts it in there, it's with good reason. I'm not concerned with their decision making and so I assume that I'll get used to whatever they provide.

I would not assume that Elon's "spaceship" controls will be standard on the base $35K Model 3.

The Model 3 could be a very usable car with just the center screen display.
My current objective is to order every option on the M3 upwards to $60K however if a spaceship steering wheel on the rendering is an option....then I certainly won't be ordering "every" option.

• Funny
Reactions: melindav