TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Spaceship Steering" on the new Roadster?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by ToddRLockwood, Nov 17, 2017.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

RoadsterInterior.jpeg

There appears to be a yoke instead of a steering wheel in the new Roadster. Is this what Elon meant when he said "spaceship steering" earlier this year in reference to the Model 3?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

It's similar to a BMW steering wheel without the upper and lower semi-circles.

I prefer conventional full circle because my hands can feel the steering sliding back to straightening out position after a u-turn or sharp turn.

Without the full circle, I imagine my hands need to swap from one side of the rectangle to another.

[​IMG]

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I noticed no side mirrors. I expect that they intend to pass this regulation before the car is out.

4. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Reminds me more of airplane controls. Already has autopilot...and in that car you will be flying...:D

• Funny x 1
  5. electracity

electracity Active Member

It better have a HUD is all I have to say.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

They also intended it to pass before Model X was released. The production model will likely end up having mirrors.

7. ToddRLockwood

Same with the Semi. The central driver position makes it essential there.

8. ToddRLockwood

#8 ToddRLockwood, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Unless the entire function of the "wheel" has changed. I'm imagining a yoke that has very limited rotation, perhaps 90-degrees max. Steering ratio and allowable steering angle would increase at very low speeds.

9. ToddRLockwood

A HUD could be related to this steering control.

10. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Looks like a racecar (LeMans, Formula 1) steering wheel (but without the 20 buttons).
    Or KITT

11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Are there any U.S. DOT regulations that say that kind of wheel is OK in passenger cars?

It's cool looking and all, but geeze, I sure wouldn't want one like that. I suspect when it goes into production, it will have a conventional steering wheel.

12. Propwash

Propwash Propwash

13. flar

flar Member

In the test ride video posted by Now You Know (the full one, not the edited version) you can see at about 58:20 the driver is returning to center after just doing a tight U-turn and he swaps hands twice indicating a 360 degree rotation:

• Informative x 1
  14. Buook

Buook Member

Not impressed Tesla... How am I supposed to retain my casual driving position with this Formula 1 steering wheel?!?

[​IMG]

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  15. animorph

animorph Active Member

From the video it looks like the steering effort is minimal, allowing a light touch on the wheel instead of a constant grip.

16. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Yes and it looked awkward. Maybe the production model will have fewer turns.

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I doubt the new Roadster will have a HUD. But hey, we have 3 years to endlessly debate the need or lack of a need of a HUD in a Tesla. Oh wait, I think we’ve already done that...

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. MacGreiner

Yep - this.

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I thought I heard the Roadster driver saying it would make it to production.

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I bet that steering wheel is the final version. Elon hates to have prototype features not make it to production. The only reason the Model X side view cameras (in place of mirrors) didn’t make it to production was because of DOT regs. And as we saw, Elon is trying again with the new Roadster and the Semi to get rid of side mirrors.