Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Spaceship Steering" on the new Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are Elon and you are absolutely convinced that FSD will be a reality by 2020, your thinking may go like this. It is already the case that automated transmissions shift better/faster than humans, hence the demise of gated shifters on high-end cars like Ferrari. Instead there is a simplified control format--i.e., paddle shifters--for override. Similarly, by 2020 automated steering will be better than humans in nearly all situations so there will be a simplified steering control for override. The situations in which you need hand-over-hand steering are low speed and are easily automated. You really want override for higher speed maneuvering, which does not require hand-over-hand, especially if the steering is adjustable and/or non-linear.

Given that the release of the next gen roadster and FSD are both in Elon time, it is quite possible that the above may be true by the time the roadster is released to customers, at least in Elon think.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
But unlike the side mirrors, there's no real benefit to the "space ship" steering wheel, other than "looking cool" and it's likely less safe than a conventional steering wheel -- making big turns with hand over hand could be really awkward with that thing. Unless as mentioned the lock-to-lock is limited to 360 degrees, which would be really odd in a passenger car. I also like to drive (on the highway) with my hands resting at 5 and 7 o'clock -- and I know a lot of people do too -- this wheel forces you to have a fixed 3 and 9 o'clock grip and nothing else. Yes, I know the idea in 2020 will be that you'll never have to touch the steering wheel to begin with, but I don't subscribe to that thinking either.

Is there any other production car currently sold in the U.S. with a steering wheel like that?

I think it was just used to make the demo that much more flashy. I'd bet a $50 charitable donation that the roadster is released with a conventional steering wheel, or at least the option of having a choice between the two.

On one of the YouTuber videos of their drive, I caught the driver of the Tesla saying that with the new steering wheel it assures proper hand position even when in autopilot. I, probably like many, just grip the button fo the steering wheel with my hand in my lap, so that would definitely suck from that perspective!

Unless the entire function of the "wheel" has changed. I'm imagining a yoke that has very limited rotation, perhaps 90-degrees max. Steering ratio and allowable steering angle would increase at very low speeds.
If it’s fully drive by wire as I’d expect all future Tesla’s to be, then the steering would be entirely under software control and could behave differently under different conditions since it’s just a way for the car to understand what the driver wants. The car would presumably ignore really stupid instructions. In that respect the steering wheel would become more like the reins on a horse.

Here's a screen grab from the DragTimes ride-along video posted here giving us a little closer look at the KITT "wheel" and main display...

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.15.07 PM.png

...as well as a bottom view showing what are presumably the turn indicator and wiper control stalks:

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.27.30 PM.png

But unlike the side mirrors, there's no real benefit to the "space ship" steering wheel, other than "looking cool" and it's likely less safe than a conventional steering wheel -- making big turns with hand over hand could be really awkward with that thing. Unless as mentioned the lock-to-lock is limited to 360 degrees, which would be really odd in a passenger car. I also like to drive (on the highway) with my hands resting at 5 and 7 o'clock -- and I know a lot of people do too -- this wheel forces you to have a fixed 3 and 9 o'clock grip and nothing else. Yes, I know the idea in 2020 will be that you'll never have to touch the steering wheel to begin with, but I don't subscribe to that thinking either.

Is there any other production car currently sold in the U.S. with a steering wheel like that?

I think it was just used to make the demo that much more flashy. I'd bet a $50 charitable donation that the roadster is released with a conventional steering wheel, or at least the option of having a choice between the two.
The BMW steering assist in the old 5 series would do that quite well, changing the ratio at lower speeds to not require hand over hand turning, it takes a little getting used to

On one of the YouTuber videos of their drive, I caught the driver of the Tesla saying that with the new steering wheel it assures proper hand position even when in autopilot.

Which may be being driven by ongoing discussions with legislators.

Probably the price we have to pay for living in such litigious times.

Maybe the design of private vehicles will be required to encourage/maintain hands-on driving?

This may sound silly, but the steering wheel is becoming kind of a deal-breaker for me right now. I guess I can keep an open mind about variable ratio steering, not having experienced it, but even that might not do it. It's not just the hand-over-hand part that's a problem, it's more a matter of "hanging on" in corners.

I needed to get some wine for Thanksgiving, and decided today would be an excellent day to visit one of the local wineries. The Sierra Foothills has some of the best on the planet (sorry, Napa), and one of them is just down the hill from me (Wise Villa Winery - recommended). For the locals, it's a nice twisty drive out Highway 193 from I-80 towards Lincoln, perfect for a fun Sunday drive in my Roadster. Fortunately, I didn't get stuck behind a logging truck or a someone driving a "side of quiche."

I was noticing that the 2:30 and 9:30 positions work just fine most of the time, but in cornering, I often grab the top steering wheel with my right hand, leaving the left where it was. That part of the steering wheel is missing on the new car, and I think that will really damage the driving experience of it.

I think the reason I do this is that it's a matter of stabilizing both my body and the car, especially when accelerating out of a 45-60-ish degree turn. I tend to sit more upright than the seat is on these sorts of roads (for better visibility around turns I guess), so that's where I get my sit-up-straight leverage from. But it's also a neutral point, steering-wise; the pull of acceleration is taken up by that arm, without imparting a turning force to the wheel, which is mostly controlled by the left arm (I'm left handed). But even if the seat were adjustable to put me in that position, I would still want my right hand on top for overall stability and fine steering adjustments that aren't affected by the acceleration. One doesn't lay in the driver's seat like they're in the living room watching TV when driving these roads. It wouldn't be right.

I tried keeping my hands at 2 and 10, imagining that the car had power steering (so that's another topic) and super side bolstering in the seats (which aren't bad to begin with), but there were still a lot of turns where that missing part was very much, well, missing.

I suppose I might get used to it, but at least for now, it's a thumbs-down on the new wheel from me.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
There is one benefit I can see, which is there is no upper part of the steering wheel to block driver's view.
I'm all of 5' 4" tall, and the only thing steering wheels block is a clear view of the dashboard. Unless you plan to use the space for post-it notes or refrigerator magnets, I don't think that's much of a problem in this car, steering wheel or no.

In my test ride, at the end when the driver had to do a full lock turn to let me out, he had to do a bit of fancy hand-over-hand to do it. I had assumed that it would have either less turns required, or even better a non-linear response (since it's probably all done in software anyway).