Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Spaceship Steering" on the new Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but I guess Tesla forums is not exactly going to be chock-full of track rat, high performance car crazed types. Proper high-performance driving generally dictates never removing your hands from the steering wheel. So a circular steering wheel in theory is not needed so long as the steering rack ratio allows the driver complete access to the steering ratio without removing their hands. Meaning, let's say you're doing a u-turn, You're simply keeping both hands on the wheel (at around 9 and 3) and rotating until your arms are crossed in a x pattern. Not many cars have such a ratio because it can make the car a bit over responsive in day-to-day operation. I suspect the Roadster will have a steering ratio that is even steeper than the one used on the test mule to accommodate access to the full steering ratio. Proper hand position during spirited driving is pretty much a fixed ergonomic design for performance cars and while I like a traditional steering wheel the introduction of a Formula One style wheel in a production road vehicle would be an interesting one. I think the BAC Mono also has a similar steering wheel. The steering ratio in the Mono is likely similar to the Roadster and as you can see you would not want to do hand over hand steering inputs as in a traditional car... nor would you ever need to.
http://image.superstreetonline.com/...2015-bac-mono-steering-wheel-instrument-panel

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but I guess Tesla forums is not exactly going to be chock-full of track rat, high performance car crazed types. Proper high-performance driving generally dictates never removing your hands from the steering wheel. So a circular steering wheel in theory is not needed so long as the steering rack ratio allows the driver complete access to the steering ratio without removing their hands. Meaning, let's say you're doing a u-turn, You're simply keeping both hands on the wheel (at around 9 and 3) and rotating until your arms are crossed in a x pattern. Not many cars have such a ratio because it can make the car a bit over responsive in day-to-day operation. I suspect the Roadster will have a steering ratio that is even steeper than the one used on the test mule to accommodate access to the full steering ratio. Proper hand position during spirited driving is pretty much a fixed ergonomic design for performance cars and while I like a traditional steering wheel the introduction of a Formula One style wheel in a production road vehicle would be an interesting one. I think the BAC Mono also has a similar steering wheel. The steering ratio in the Mono is likely similar to the Roadster and as you can see you would not want to do hand over hand steering inputs as in a traditional car... nor would you ever need to.
http://image.superstreetonline.com/...2015-bac-mono-steering-wheel-instrument-panel

Agreed. Since it's steering by wier Tesla could easily implement speed sensitive and angle dependent steering ratios to take care of all conditions too.

I want a full steering wheel. Whilst the roadster isn’t a rally car there’s no denying it would be difficult to do a Scandinavian flick with the yoke version.

As any spirited sports car drivers out there will attest, stepping out the rear and having to rapidly spin the steering wheel back to avoid penduluming down the road (or even worse) will not be easy with the yoke.

Or perhaps this is the dawn of a new era of driving, where traction control and unfathomable performance are what provide the thrill.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Variable assist steering is common in the automotive landscape but variable ratio is not. I'm not a fan of the idea of a variable ratio because driver and machine need to interface as one and having the ratio alternate is akin to having a golf club change length mid-swing. I want a static ratio with great feedback. I hate hate hate Electric power steering but in the case of the Roadster it really is a requirement simply due to the short ratio and high curb weight which would not allow for a non power steering system such in the Alfa Romeo 4C. But ideally the Roadster steering feel would be best if there is no power steering assist when the steering is directly on center or within percentage points of on Center. At least that's my opinion. If you get a chance to drive a Mazda Miata you will get an idea of what great steering feel can be. While the new Roadster is aiming for the ultra hypercar Market there is a small part of me hoping a little bit of Mazda Miata fun eeeks its way into the recipe. 0 to 100 miles per hour in a blink-of-an-eye and steering so quick that you'll exit a road if you sneeze may sound like progress but it is not. This is proven by the continued appreciation of 90s collectors automobiles with their excellent driver interface and braking and steering feel. Things have not necessarily gotten better just because technology continues to evolve. It is my hope that Elon, as an ex owner of a McLaren F1, one of the greatest analog drivers cars of all time, will not let the Roadster get to digital.

Reactions: smac
a circular steering wheel in theory is not needed so long as the steering rack ratio allows the driver complete access to the steering ratio without removing their hands. Meaning, let's say you're doing a u-turn, You're simply keeping both hands on the wheel (at around 9 and 3) and rotating until your arms are crossed in a x pattern

OR

an option that allows "sufficient" tire slip.
Makes tight turns easy if you don't care about your tires: :cool:

Reactions: unbelievable