Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX and Turkey. Really, Elon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anon2

Of Course I Trust You Will Do The Right Thing
Surprised there's not more chatter on here about this. Have to say, long term, I don't like it. Although it has lucrative appeal. Elon Musk says he's not in it for profit. Then why is Turkey necessary in expanding internationally? How does a country whose politics (current and historical) are a bit exclusive blend with mission ethics of a company whose culture is supposed to be inclusive? Weigh in club.

Not seeing anything noteworthy. Turkey is having SpaceX launch satellites built by Airbus (or Airbus is having SpaceX launch the satellites they are building for Turkey).

Are you saying SpaceX should only work with more ideologically similar customers?

Precisely why I see this as a not so great long term option. Sure ideological differences shouldn't exclude joint business participation BUT where will SpaceX, Tesla & affiliates draw the line? What will or won't they stand for? Here in the U.S. and abroad.

When I was in Turkmenistan there was an ad in one of their magazines celebrating a SpaceX launch of some satellite of theirs. That’s a complete totalitarian dictatorship in the same sort of style as the DPRK with an appalling human rights record.

Precisely why I see this as a not so great long term option. Sure ideological differences shouldn't exclude joint business participation BUT where will SpaceX, Tesla & affiliates draw the line? What will or won't they stand for? Here in the U.S. and abroad.

Agreed, though just pointing out that in comparison Turkey is Disneyland. Everything is a sliding scale and it will be tricky for SpaceX to decide where to stop the slider.

Reactions: Anon2
So SpaceX shouldn't launch US satellites? Ever hear of Native Americans?
Or that US has 5% of world population and 25% of the world's incarcerated population? Or that 1 in 3 black men are incarcerated, while 1 in 17 white men are incarcerated, despite equal rates of drug usage. Or that the US and Syria are the only non-signatories of the Paris Climate Accord and walking down a path of species-wide genocide?

Served my country, proud of my country, just asking to be very careful of the moral relativism of this thread.

Not sure this is a news flash, but SpaceX launches missions for US military and many corporations with not exemplary reputations....much less those damn satellites that facilitate TV, which is likely to destroy society before the seas rise.

;)

Or that the US and Syria are the only non-signatories of the Paris Climate Accord and walking down a path of species-wide genocide?
Minor correction: Syria just signed. American Exceptionalism, indeed!

But back to the thread topic. A customer is a customer. Elon wants to change the world by moving it toward good outcomes, and to do this he needs to make money along the way. While Erdogan is trying to move the country in the wrong (according to most of us) direction, it's actually a very nice country with generally very nice people.

Reactions: Grendal