Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX - Auctions, Artifacts and Memorabilia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nikxice

Oct 31, 2014
Hudson, NH
Recently I've noticed that SpaceX artifacts and memorabilia have started to become more available to the general public. Some items have been flown to or near Space, others might be keepsakes such as mission patches. Almost on a yearly basis since 2012 SpaceX has created special displays to recognize key employees. These pieces are usually limited editions and typically number fewer than a thousand. With the passage of time these items have started showing up on the secondary market, usually through auction houses. I've been a collector for years, so I'm especially interested in anything that comes up "SpaceX". Some collectibles are even hand signed by Elon, which can double as a Certificate of Authenticity (COA). Not far from me in NH a semi-annual Space auction ended last night. It featured 5 SpaceX items. Listed was a 2012 commemorative coin exclusively made for SpaceX employees which sold for $302. We'll most certainly see more of these coins at auction in the future. This coin was to celebrate SpaceX's COTS Demo Flight 2, the first successful docking of a commercial spacecraft with the ISS. I didn't bid high enough, but hope to someday own another item, the official mission patch display representing the Feb. 2018 Falcon Heavy Demo. I'm not sure how many of these were produced, but who knew that the red thread used to embroider this patch came from a nosecone from one of the side boosters? The initial bidding for the display started at $200. It sold for $875, including the buyer's premium. My expectation is that items such as this will fetch higher premiums in the future. Periodically I'll post other SpaceX related finds on this thread. I welcome any and all other contributors!
3425564_1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Grendal and e-FTW
Artist Tristan Eaton has produced 100 commemorative replicas of his work "Human Kind" flown on DM-2 with Bob and Doug. The limited edition metal plate box set is a pricey $2,500, but looks gorgeous. Open edition paper prints are $200. It'll be interesting to see what the original 2 plates sell for at auction early next year. I'll be watching. collectSPACE has a link to Eaton's website and store.
Street artist Tristan Eaton to offer replicas of SpaceX-launched art | collectSPACE

Here's an interesting item recently listed on ebay that was consequently removed by the seller. A SpaceX M1D Merlin Engine circuit board (listed as an Engine Controller), with a starting bid of $500. Not known if it was flown or unflown, but the listing states the mounting pads show signs of wear. Well beyond my expertise, but don't see any flags to doubt its authenticity. Also, wouldn't be surprised if SpaceX regularly searches online auctions for proprietary material.
324814073194_spacex_merlin_controller01-lg.jpg

A senior at the University of Pennsylvania, simulating Zero-G? Circa 1994, this photo of Elon was taken by a former girlfriend, Jennifer Gwynne (probably fond of her last name!). This was among a dozen or so photos sold here in NH last night thru RR Auction. Considering it's not even autographed, nice closing price.

Any items offered related to Elon and other tech entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs have taken off in value. For the foreseeable future, they're likely to keep appreciating.

Lot #93
Elon Musk Original Photograph​

Lot #93 Elon Musk Original Photograph

Previous Lot

Next Lot
This lot has closed

Sold For: $21,889​

*Includes Buyers Premium​

Reactions: Grendal