TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SpaceX & Boring Co team to Thailand

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by malcolm, Jul 6, 2018.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Elon Musk on Twitter

• Like x 5
  2. SwTslaGrl

SwTslaGrl Member

Elon Musk tweets video of 'kid-sized submarine' for use in Thai cave (using the liquid oxygen transfer tube of Falcon rocket as hull),

• Like x 2
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

As a scuba diver, I found that video very interesting. While clearly not for the claustrophobic, that does seem like a viable solution. There must be some mechanism to deal with the CO2 buildup inside the tube. They could have a calcium carbonate canister inside the tube but you would need a way to force air through it, and there isn’t much space to spare in there! I didn’t see any gas venting from the tube during that short video, though maybe the timeframe was too brief to show that. Since the occupant is breathing in air from the external tank, pressure will build up inside the tube.

• Informative x 1
  4. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I
    CAN NOT
    watch that video.
    The claustrophobia is going to keep me awake tonight....
    'Will try to think about something else

5. ecarfan

Looks like that “mini sub” won’t be needed in Thailand, since the everyone trapped in the cave has now been rescued, which is great news!

6. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

The Thai rescue chief described the mini-sub as impractical for the cave. He probably went looking for the built-in Klonopin dispenser. ;)

7. dondy

dondy Member

Ok, Thailand news started to publish videos about rescue.
    BTW Thai press mission representative never said that mini was impractical, he said it was not necessary. the sub was from the start a back-up in case if the water path would become too long for the existing plan.
    Rescue was executed using first variant of the rescue pod proposed by SpaceX and Arcata-based Wing Inflatables.
    News about are here:
    Answering Elon Musk’s call for help to build Thailand’s cave rescue pod in 24 hours
    Video at point is here:

time stamp with pod images is 6:24.

Cheers. The journalists as always proved to be hateful, opinionated and clueless morons. I wonder when Musk will start his pravduh project.

• Informative x 1
  8. ecarfan

9. dondy

dondy Member

Sure you can believe NYT . they check all their sources and don't speculate. Right?
    Or you can look at the clip I linked. Time stamp is 6:24.
    Indeed they used military variant of SKED which is usually used for helicopter evacuations in the dry sections of the cave. Everybody's seen the clips. The stretchers were dry, so it was just a matter of time to wait until underwater shootage with SpaceX/Wing pods will be released.

10. ecarfan

The SpaceX developed “mini sub” or “pod” was not used as far as Iknow.

“Modified SKED”, “military variant of SKED”, same thing. I could not tell from the video if the “stretchers were dry” or not. But given that the rescue required traveling lengthy sections above water as well as below, what was shown in that video could have been after the SKED had been above water for quite awhile.