Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Crew Dragon Capsule Docks at ISS - Crew 1 Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few images while we wait for Waypoint 2.

BAF942D7-ABE1-43E7-9AB0-E78FBC57F0E8.png

49C21814-9FF9-4E22-9970-7CCE001F336E.png

07D20CD5-93E1-4C5D-BF4F-C733D083A8F2.png

5CFFEEBC-38A0-4C4A-B4E6-BE30C61AF7F4.png

5CD10A8B-DEBF-4B1F-88AF-928B2E76332A.png

Reactions: Grendal
Ready to go in for docking but due to sunset shortly they are waiting for it for a better view without shadows. A few minutes.

982E2F44-A5F1-4FB4-8297-AAD99372E3FA.png

Light strobing is now visible and ready to move in.

18D00022-7D89-4946-941C-0275AF6B1E02.png

Soft capture complete.

Hard capture complete. Home for the next 6 months. Hatch opening in about an hour.

Last edited:
I'm glad the launch and rendezvous went well! Congratulations all around!

Also, the SpaceX rocket technology is interesting. I suspect they are looking into cleaner launches using only liquid oxygen. The rocket already uses liquid oxygen and kerosene, so I suspect it's just a matter of changing the engines to use liquid oxygen only.

Additionally, it's really smart that they are recovering and reusing the components. The vertical rocket landings are amazing!

I hope the rest of the mission goes well.

Reactions: Electroman
I'm glad the launch and rendezvous went well! Congratulations all around!

Also, the SpaceX rocket technology is interesting. I suspect they are looking into cleaner launches using only liquid oxygen. The rocket already uses liquid oxygen and kerosene, so I suspect it's just a matter of changing the engines to use liquid oxygen only.

Additionally, it's really smart that they are recovering and reusing the components. The vertical rocket landings are amazing!

I hope the rest of the mission goes well.
Starship is cleaner with methane and LOX.

Somebody has sleep in chemistry class. What are the three necessities of the fire triangle.

Oxygen, heat, and fuel

Bonk you with the text book!
Say with me: "Oxygen, heat, and fuel!"
True, for a typical combustion main rocket engine.

On a tangent purely for tangent's sake, momentum/ thrust does not require combustion.
LOX + electric/ solar heat = thrust (but not enough to be worth the trouble).

More common non-combustion thrusters:
Cold gas (N2)
Hall effect (Starlink, Kr)

Hypergolics (TEA/ TEB) do not require a heat/ ignition source.

Monopropellants do not require a seperate oxidizer: hydrazine and Hydrogen Peroxide

And really out there is FOOF which will react with most anything.
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeli...3/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride

Reactions: bxr140
Xenon was the darling of EP until it got mad expensive. Last I saw (and this was probably 5-6 years ago) 6 K bottles for a GEO sat load was $800k. :eek:

Krypton is the new kid in town, and I’ve seen proposals to use argon too, which is nice because it’s a solid. Mercury is in the mix too for EP.

And momentus of course is working on h2o.

After completing almost three months in Space, Crew-1 Dragon capsule "Resilience" has set a new U.S. human spacecraft duration record. Quoting Soichi Noguchi on Twitter,
"Historic "joint" crew photo! Today #Crew1 broke the record for longest US space capsule mission ever, Skylab 4's 84-day record in 1974. We were honored & thrilled to talk to #Skylab #astronaut Ed Gibson. Thanks
@ASE_Astronauts!"

Projected to splashdown in late March, Resilience will be refurbished for the launch of Inspiration4 later this year.
Etpbh8HWYAEjIha.jpg

Nice splashdown and recovery. Congrats teams! Watched Mike get out. Guessing since no camera of the remaining crew they weren’t feeling as well as Mike. Look forward to seeing them later. Post coverage is on now on NASA-TV channel. Kathie starting the coverage off.