Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Dragon XII Welcome Back Splash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anon2

Of Course I Trust You Will Do The Right Thing
Cue volume up Star Trek Enterprise television series intro theme song, "It's been a long road, To get from there to here. It's been a long time, but my time is finally here."
Indeed many spatial miles have been journeyed by SpaceX Dragon. Today's splash land into the Pacific off Southern California coast at 7:14 AM PST, 10:14 AM EST will log Dragon's 12th commercial resupply mission to and from the International Space Station complete. Paolo Nespoli (Flight Engineer) and Randy Bresnik (Commander), Expedition 53 Robotic Arm Operators began executing steps to release Dragon from ISS earth facing port of the Harmony module this morning at 4:40 AM EST. Ground control, of course, being overseen by NASA Houston. Upon successful release kind words exchanged between ISS and Houston bidding Godspeed to the only space station resupply spacecraft capable of completing earth reentry intact. Dragon making it's way toward reentry rendezvous point where it underwent deorbital burn. SpaceX Controllers at Hawthorne, California overseeing Dragon's reentry and splash land.

What is perhaps most significant about this 12th mission is the cargo. On
August 14 Dragon launched from Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, and arrived at the International Space Station on August 16. Spacecraft carried 6,400 pounds of supplies and cargo. Dragon brings home 3,800 pounds including samples from various research experiments conducted aboard the ISS. One in particular being a stem cell experiment which seeks to create new lung tissue.
Certainly significant potential benefit for many with respiratory life threatening conditions here on earth. These samples are among precious cargo Dragon has brought home to earth. Will be promptly unloaded by SpaceX recovery team.

Congratulations on another stellar effort between NASA, ISS and SpaceX providing, and I add to sentiments expressed by Randy Bresnik upon Dragon's successful detachment and release from the ISS, *an awesome spacecraft.* Welcome home Dragon. Fade out from Star Trek Enterprise intro theme song "...Cause I've got faith of the heart I'm going where my heart will take me I've got faith to believe, I can do anything."

Splashdown throwback image.

Postnote: My takeaway from this and all launch events is the spirit of cooperation that exists between partners. As an African-American female mid career professional I am undergoing a complete change in course. Heading back to school. Graduate level coursework. Witnessing the interaction between individuals from commercial government and international agencies is well worth additional years of reeducation in STEM related field. Can't wait to integrate. Many miles yet to go to get from here to there.