Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX employees now allowed to reserve Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy employees of Elons other companies will get their cars first. They deserve it!

They totally deserved it. Many of them joined SpaceX and Tesla knowing full well it is very likely these two companies might not make it. There were a lot of naysayers. After all, the last successful American car startup was 1920s and the last successful space company startup was never.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
You guys are missing the point. The people who are reserving early are missing all the fun of camping out in line and having that "well earned" feeling.

Camping out is fun! It's going to go down like this: Asian scalpers, trash everywhere, and NYPD cursing and abusing people. No thanks.

I never got the appeal of this camping out business. What are the odds that many of these cars will be reserved for importation to impatient rich Chinese?

I want to start by saying I have a lot of respect for SpaceX and am impressed with what they have accomlished. I live on the same Island where the launch pad is located. Even though it is about 12 miles away, the way it is situated I have an almost direct line of site and unobstructed view of the launch area from our veranda. When the engines fire up you can see the rocket rise into the sky. It is still a thrill watch the rockets go across the sky from the veranda. We usually go out and watch the launches which average one a month and their competitor United Space Alliance also averages one a month. I think SpaceX may be our only hope in sending a mission to Mars. According to Elon putting a colony on Mars may be the only way our species will survive. Whether it is from a natural disaster (like an asteroid) or man-made (like robots becoming the dominate species) putting a colony on Mars makes sense. I have read a lot about Elon's reasoning and how robots could take over during my lifetime. First I though it was nonsense but the more I read I realized it could and probably will happen.

I am a currently a Tesla owner therefore it won't have to much effect on me but I think it is unfair for SpaceX employees to be able to jump the line as the only nexus they have is Elon Musk is the CEO of both companies. Where Tesla is a public traded company, SpaceX is a privately owned company.

Actually they didn't even have to jump the line as they were able to make their reservation last week. What next will SolarCity employees be able to reserve early? After all Elon has a considerable interest in it also.

The only thing good about it is many of the 5,000 employees of SpaceX work and live in this area. The closest Supercharging location is 70 miles away and SC is 62 miles away along with tolls both ways. I am the only X in the area and it is rare to even see another Tesla. If even 25-40% of the employees which live here were to buy a Model 3 it would be enough to probably justify a SC and Supercharger location.

I seriously doubt any non-Tesla owners or anyone that doesn't work for Elon will ever receive the full $7500 credit. There will be a huge rush right before Model 3 delivery where people are buying Model S and Model X just to be sure they get the credit as well. Nonetheless, $3750 (half of $7500) credit is still guaranteed.

I think it's a good move that the people who get the first few thousand model 3s are Elon employees. They will be into providing feedback without running to the press and blowing stuff out of proportion. New model, new gigafactory. There will be teething problems, I'm happy that these people get them before the car comes overseas.

I want to start by saying I have a lot of respect for SpaceX and am impressed with what they have accomlished. I live on the same Island where the launch pad is located. Even though it is about 12 miles away, the way it is situated I have an almost direct line of site and unobstructed view of the launch area from our veranda. When the engines fire up you can see the rocket rise into the sky. It is still a thrill watch the rockets go across the sky from the veranda. We usually go out and watch the launches which average one a month and their competitor United Space Alliance also averages one a month. I think SpaceX may be our only hope in sending a mission to Mars. According to Elon putting a colony on Mars may be the only way our species will survive. Whether it is from a natural disaster (like an asteroid) or man-made (like robots becoming the dominate species) putting a colony on Mars makes sense. I have read a lot about Elon's reasoning and how robots could take over during my lifetime. First I though it was nonsense but the more I read I realized it could and probably will happen.

I am a currently a Tesla owner therefore it won't have to much effect on me but I think it is unfair for SpaceX employees to be able to jump the line as the only nexus they have is Elon Musk is the CEO of both companies. Where Tesla is a public traded company, SpaceX is a privately owned company.

Actually they didn't even have to jump the line as they were able to make their reservation last week. What next will SolarCity employees be able to reserve early? After all Elon has a considerable interest in it also.

The only thing good about it is many of the 5,000 employees of SpaceX work and live in this area. The closest Supercharging location is 70 miles away and SC is 62 miles away along with tolls both ways. I am the only X in the area and it is rare to even see another Tesla. If even 25-40% of the employees which live here were to buy a Model 3 it would be enough to probably justify a SC and Supercharger location.

As you may already know, the two companies are so aligned in the culture and shared resources no to mention CEO, I think it's a fantastic idea. Space X employees must have been privy or aware of the M3 prototype being built in SpaceX facilities just like Model S &X. I've been waiting for the Model 3 for more than 5 years so I can wait a little longer. Plus, I don't expect to receive my M3 until March 2018.