Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 11th Reuse - CRS-14 - SLC-40 - Return 5/2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will be no booster recovery for the obsolete Block 4 used twice according to a space reporter. SpaceX changed the paperwork with the authorities to say they wouldn't be recovering the booster at LZ-1.

I just wanted to share this nice graphic about the first stage delta v comparison that was made just after the CRS14 webcast and posted to reddit by Shahar603.

It shows that with that delta V the CRS14 first stage could have landed on a drone ship had one been sent out so the experimental trajectory must not have been a huge deviation from normal.

H29mL5V.png

Jensen on the first stage:
It was a hard landing in the ocean. We were mostly focused on the reentry data

so it sounds like they didn't do a landing burn and just let it break up on the water / sink.

some random replies from reddit related to this

1 -
I wonder if they're trying to figure out why FH-Demo used too much ignition fluid during the reentry burn, by recreating the conditions of its reentry.
2 -
This is an interesting thought! Another thought: maybe they're experimenting with lighting engines using as little TEA-TEB as possible.
3 -
There was a post recently on reddit or NSF claiming inside info that they set the 'ground' target at 1 km altitude to ensure proper stage destruction.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal and e-FTW
Jensen on the first stage:

so it sounds like they didn't do a landing burn and just let it break up on the water / sink.

some random replies from reddit related to this

1 -
2 -
3 -

Given the last soft water landing became a hazard to navigation, I'm going with option 3 (target landing at 1km and break up on impact with water). Bonus points if they did a 180 first :).

Next week Dragon is scheduled to depart from ISS and head home and land in the Pacific Ocean. NASA will air the release (10:22am EDT on Wednesday, May 2) with coverage starting at 10a.m. EDT. You can view it here: | NASA

According to an article in Florida Today, this time Dragon will have a passenger, Robonaut 2. SpaceX Dragon spacecraft set for Pacific Ocean splashdown

@Grendal, any chance we can edit the thread title to reference the Dragon return date to catch people's attention?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Next week Dragon is scheduled to depart from ISS and head home and land in the Pacific Ocean. NASA will air the release (10:22am EDT on Wednesday, May 2) with coverage starting at 10a.m. EDT. You can view it here: | NASA

According to an article in Florida Today, this time Dragon will have a passenger, Robonaut 2. SpaceX Dragon spacecraft set for Pacific Ocean splashdown

@Grendal, any chance we can edit the thread title to reference the Dragon return date to catch people's attention?
Good idea. Added a comment on the first post as well. From now on, on these CRS and later Commercial Crew I will create an extra line for recovery of Dragon 1's, Dragon 2's, and the names of passengers.

Reactions: SMAlset
Hadn't realized there was a robot up there, nor since 2011. Looked it up and thought I'd share the link to NASA's webpage for it.

Robonaut2

Robonaut 2 Technologies Available for Licensing. In the 9 years it's been up there, robotics has certainly come a l-o-n-g way. Makes me wonder what SpaceX and Elon's AI projects will come up with for a Starman2 version. Surely something must be in the works.

Last edited: