Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 16th Reuse - SAOCOM 1A - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Triple redundant bummer...

I have some relatives arriving Saturday afternoon, and we were going to watch the launch/landing from the Manhattan Beach area. With it now being moved to Sunday evening, we will be up in Mammoth for the night. Anyone know if any part of the launch or landing maneuvers will be visible from there?

RT

we were going to watch the launch/landing from the Manhattan Beach area. With it now being moved to Sunday evening, we will be up in Mammoth for the night. Anyone know if any part of the launch or landing maneuvers will be visible from there?
I don’t know with certainty, but that seems unlikely. The Sierra Nevada mountains will block your view.

I have some relatives arriving Saturday afternoon, and we were going to watch the launch/landing from the Manhattan Beach area. With it now being moved to Sunday evening, we will be up in Mammoth for the night. Anyone know if any part of the launch or landing maneuvers will be visible from there?

Not a chance. VAFB is far away and the launch direction is just about exactly the opposite direction from mammoth.

We will... Vandenberg :)
Serendipity...at this point it looks like I can’t make the SACOM 1 launch because it slipped a day, but @nwdiver and I managed to meet in person anyway; today we were both at the Kettleman City Supercharger at the same time, parked just a few stalls apart. He recognized me based on my avatar; not many white X’s towing a Safari Condo Alto F7143 trailer. :rolleyes: We had a nice chat!

Triple redundant bummer...

I have some relatives arriving Saturday afternoon, and we were going to watch the launch/landing from the Manhattan Beach area. .... Anyone know if any part of the launch or landing maneuvers will be visible from there?

RT

Anyone know if the first stage will be visible from Manhattan Beach area. How far south will it go before turning back north?

Serendipity...at this point it looks like I can’t make the SACOM 1 launch because it slipped a day, but @nwdiver and I managed to meet in person anyway; today we were both at the Kettleman City Supercharger at the same time, parked just a few stalls apart. He recognized me based on my avatar; not many white X’s towing a Safari Condo Alto F7143 trailer. :rolleyes: We had a nice chat!

The switch to Sunday evening what with Monday being a workday for most really messed up a lot of plans I'm sure. That's really great that the two of you met up and great that your avatar helped.

Have a launch reminder on my phone set as I'd really love to see Stage 1 land back on Landing Zone 4 here in California. If we didn't have stuff going on here, would have loved to have made a long weekend trip down there but I know watching this via internet will be exciting all the same.

For those going there to view, Elon tweeted today that the sonic boom won't be subtle! Elon Musk on Twitter

Last edited:
Anyone know if the first stage will be visible from Manhattan Beach area.
Yes it should be if it’s clear. Some binoculars could help.
“palmer_md said:
How far south will it go before turning back north?
Saocom is a sun synchronous orbit. I couldn’t find the exact trajectory, but my guess is it would turn back north somewhere around the South Pole.