Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 16th Reuse - SAOCOM 1A - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: October 7th Sunday
Launch Window: 7:22 PM PST
Launch site: SLC-4E Vandenberg
Booster Recovery: 1st West Coast RTLS to SLC-4W
Booster Type: B1048.2 - 2nd Reused Block 5
Mass: 1600 kg (3527 lbs.)
Orbit: 620 km SSO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the SAOCOM 1A for CONAE, Argentina’s space agency. SAOCOM 1A is the first of two SAOCOM 1-series Earth observation satellites designed to provide radar imagery to help emergency responders and monitor the environment, including the collection of soil moisture measurements.

SAOCOM 1A, 1B
SAOCOM - Wikipedia
Details of launch:
SAOCOM 1A ships to Vandenberg as Falcon 9 prepares for the first west coast RTLS – NASASpaceFlight.com

The first West Coast RTLS will reuse the last Iridium booster from July 25th. So this will be the quickest turnaround for a booster to date if early September holds. The payload is a light one going to SSO which allows for the RTLS.

17th SpaceX launch of the year.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and skitown
Thanks for starting this thread. This is the launch and land that I really must go see!

The SpaceXNow app shows this launch date will be Sep 5. Is there some reason you posted “Early September”?

For a while, that was the tentative launch date. Most official launch date sites have modified to Early or Mid September. I chose to be optimistic and put early September. The satellite is at Vandenberg. The booster was parked outside the Hawthorne factory just a couple days ago and is now inside the factory. I expect the official launch date should firm up in the next two or three weeks.

Good luck and have a great time. According to people that have been to both places, for the public viewing sites, you will be closer to the landing pad at Vandenberg than you can be near to LZ-1 at the Cape. Let's hope it is a beautiful daylight launch and landing with clear weather...

Searching the web I find a lot of sites stating 29 September launch, or a window that includes that date.

SpaceX Falcon 9 : SAOCOM 1A : NET September 28, 2018 : Vandenberg
NET September 2018 (targeting Sept. 28-Oct. 4) on Falcon 9 from Vandenberg. Booster is 1048.2, previously used for Iridium NEXT flight 7. RTLS landing is expected.
—————————————————

Unfortunately I am going to be traveling in that timeframe and won’t be able to attend the launch. Damn.

Searching the web I find a lot of sites stating 29 September launch, or a window that includes that date.

SpaceX Falcon 9 : SAOCOM 1A : NET September 28, 2018 : Vandenberg
NET September 2018 (targeting Sept. 28-Oct. 4) on Falcon 9 from Vandenberg. Booster is 1048.2, previously used for Iridium NEXT flight 7. RTLS landing is expected.
—————————————————

Unfortunately I am going to be traveling in that timeframe and won’t be able to attend the launch. Damn.

Well you likely got your wish. It looks like it is getting pushed out again. October 7th or later from an inside source.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
I don’t understand what you mean by “broadcast from the geeks”.
I believe (s)he's asking if the SpaceX enthusiasts do a livestream of the launch and the activities. Which they haven't done in the past. I would be surprised if something like that started up since SpaceX's is so good.

Here's a picture of the satellite getting encapsulated in Vandenberg:
41714715_1810007339048677_4120518188431572992_n.jpg

Spaceflightnow has it as an October 6th launch.
Thanks. I know that launch dates/times can change, but I am anxious to find out the launch time of day as well as the date so I can figure out whether or not I can make this launch. Currently in New Mexico on a road trip, but can adjust my return to California timing to some degree and hopefully see this launch!

Reactions: e-FTW and nwdiver
Thanks. I know that launch dates/times can change, but I am anxious to find out the launch time of day as well as the date so I can figure out whether or not I can make this launch. Currently in New Mexico on a road trip, but can adjust my return to California timing to some degree and hopefully see this launch!

LOL... I'll be on a road trip RETURNING to NM.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW