Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 1st 2nd Reuse - SSO-A - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought they targeted a much higher number for this year?

This is a bit of a higher level conversation that we've had here before, but global launch capacity is not supply constrained, it is demand constrained. There simply aren't enough big things that need to be launched into space. The reason is that, despite the disruptive pricing of F9, similar disruption is lagging on the satellite side of the industry. Its coming down, but its a lot harder for the satellite side to get on board with Industry 4.0 type of stuff because of the product mix/uniqueness, and the general lack of demand in the big satellite industry doesn't help matters. Check out the trend in commercial awards over the past two years compared to the previous 10 or so (note that in typical western circles, the Chinese and Russians aren't included in these numbers), and consider that that those are a pretty big piece of the annual launch demand pie: Recently awarded GEO-Sat Contracts

So...don't expect to see a huge bump in SpaceX launches in 2019, or even 2020--like, we're not looking at a falcon launch per week for a while. The big internet constellations are really the thing that's going to step-function launch demand, and a rudimentary analysis of the funding for those constellations combined with an honest, if not eye-rolling assessment of ever optimistic space schedules pretty safely points to minimal launch action over the next ~two years. Starlink is the closest; I'd buy that they might start ramping up later in 2020.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal
This is a bit of a higher level conversation that we've had here before, but global launch capacity is not supply constrained, it is demand constrained. There simply aren't enough big things that need to be launched into space, so other than rallying the fan base there's not a lot of value in. The reason is that, despite the disruptive pricing of F9, similar disruption is lagging on the satellite side of the industry. Its coming down, but its a lot harder for the satellite side to get on board with Industry 4.0 type of stuff because of the product mix/uniqueness, and the general lack of demand in the big satellite industry doesn't help matters. Check out the trend in commercial awards over the past two years compared to the previous 10 or so (note that in typical western circles, the Chinese and Russians aren't included in these numbers), and consider that that those are a pretty big piece of the annual launch demand pie: Recently awarded GEO-Sat Contracts

So...don't expect to see a huge bump in SpaceX launches in 2019, or even 2020--like, we're not looking at a falcon launch per week for a while. The big internet constellations are really the thing that's going to step-function launch demand, and a rudimentary analysis of the funding for those constellations combined with an honest, if not eye-rolling assessment of ever optimistic space schedules pretty safely points to minimal launch action over the next ~two years. Starlink is the closest; I'd buy that they might start ramping up later in 2020.
Interesting.

So SpaceX is building its own demand - Starlink - to match its increased supply.

So looks like they will end at 21 launches this year, compared to 18 last year?

I thought they targeted a much higher number for this year?

They did expect to have a number of launches from Commercial Crew. None of those happened due to bureaucratic red tape and moving goalposts. Hopefully next year we get a US astronaut launched on a US rocket.

Reactions: e-FTW and bxr140
Article on Spaceflightnow.com with fascinating comments by Hans Koenigsmann on how powerfully reusability will lead to greater and greater reliability.

Hans Koenigsmann, SpaceX’s vice president of build and flight reliability, said in October that Falcon 9 rockets will soon begin logging more flights using the same airframe, a step-by-step approach that will take a big leap forward with Sunday’s mission from Vandenberg, a military base around 140 miles (225 kilometers) northwest of Los Angeles.

SpaceX launch Monday will signify a new advance in reusing rockets – Spaceflight Now

"My job is reliability, and reliability benefits tremendously from reusability.”

Interesting.

So SpaceX is building its own demand - Starlink - to match its increased supply.

Very much so. And they are doing it because of ... Mars.

Basically, Elon needs lots of customers to develop the BFR/Spaceship. I don't know if you remember, but the biggest thing Elon was excited about during, I think, the second talk he gave about the BFR, was that they had figured out how they were going to pay for the BFR. It was always an issue. R&D for the Mars Colonial Transporter was never going to be cheap, and as the upthreads have pointed out, launch demand isn't going up.

So he invented a customer. Himself. This isn't an unheard of strategy in business. It would be akin to a car manufacturer owning and operating a car rental business to soak up manufacturing capacity. Usually, companies don't do this because the secondary industry is itself crowded with competitors and hard to run. Time will tell whether Starlink will be similarly impacted by (terrestrial) competition and/or operational complexity. It's a bold move, but frankly, he had no choice to fulfill his strategic objective.

Yeah. I’d actually spin the nuance slightly differently too. Its as much or even more about building Falcon as a low cost solution for the bigger picture vision as it is building internal launcher demand under the SpaceX Umbrella.

The real downside to the notion that Starlink creates internal demand is that, regardless where the corporate P&L lines are drawn between Falcon and Starlink, it basically boils down to at-cost launches for the mother entity [ostensibly SpaceX]. There's of course plenty of secondary benefits to that demand, like all the production and design efficiencies enabled by more volume, but that arrangement leaves the Falcon product line with zero direct profit.

I do fully believe that Elon could give a *sugar* about profit--I believe his sights are solely set on Mars--but he also knows that profit is a convenient way to fund development, so until Starlink can start to make a buck I wouldn't expect to see much favoritism over external Falcon customers.