Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 4th Reuse - CRS-13 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: Dec. 4
Launch Time: 1952 GMT (2:52 p.m. EST)
Launch Site: SLC-40 - Cape Canaveral, Florida
Booster Recovery: RTLS at LZ-1

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 15th Dragon spacecraft mission on its 13th operational cargo delivery flight to the International Space Station. The flight is being conducted under the Commercial Resupply Services contract with NASA. The Falcon 9 rocket’s first stage will return to landing at Landing Zone-1 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. Delayed from Sept. 13 and Nov. 1. [Oct. 18]
NASA Invites Media to Upcoming Space Station Cargo Launch

The first launch to happen from the newly repaired SLC-40 launch pad after last years incident. There have been a lot of improvements to the pad which we may near about during the webcast or in an article.

There were rumors that NASA was considering using a previously flown booster for this launch. Knowing NASA, that could take up to a year or two before they actually act on a flight proven booster.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
There were rumors that NASA was considering using a previously flown booster for this launch. Knowing NASA, that could take up to a year or two before they actually act on a flight proven booster.

It looks like the rumors are going to come true. It is now semi-official (no official announcement yet) that NASA will be using the booster recovered from CRS-11. Wow.

CRS Stage 1s seem to have been the ones that get re-used. Maybe this could become the first 3rd-use booster...

It's possible, since you are correct that it should be in great shape. However, other than saving some money SpaceX has plenty of extra boosters in great shape sitting around. It doesn't really do anything beneficial for SpaceX to reuse a Block 3 or Block 4 booster multiple times when other boosters are available. The Block 5 booster will be the one designed for multiple reuse. So it would make sense for SpaceX to focus their energy on proving that booster works well with multiple launches. According to the Iridium CEO, SpaceX has proven to insurance companies that a single extra launch is equal to a new booster. It could be that a third launch to the insurance people is more costly for now. Though, as you point out, if SpaceX were to go for a third launch with the current boosters then this would be the one to do it with.

Here is a detailed article giving details on where NASA is on using a previously flown booster for CRS-13. It seems there are still one more review (bureaucratic paperwork) that needs to be done before it is finalized.

Dan Hartman, ISS deputy program manager, said SpaceX itself had one more readiness review for the booster they’re planning to refly before deciding if they can use it for the SpX-13 mission, scheduled for launch Dec. 4. “If that comes back positive,” he said, “I’d say the chances are that we’ll be flying a reuse on SpX-13.”

I have made plans to go down to see CRS 13 and RTLS on the 4th. What might be the effect of the ZUMA delay on this schedule if any. Can they both launch and if not, which might have priority? I realize this is speculation but your guess is better than mine.

Reactions: Grendal
I have made plans to go down to see CRS 13 and RTLS on the 4th. What might be the effect of the ZUMA delay on this schedule if any. Can they both launch and if not, which might have priority? I realize this is speculation but your guess is better than mine.

Zuma will launch from LC-39A, while CRS-13 is supposed to launch from LC-40. So technically it is feasible.

So now it is officially official:

Stephen Clark on Twitter

NASA’s Bill Gerstenmaier confirms SpaceX has approved use of previously-flown booster (from June’s CRS-11 cargo launch) for upcoming space station resupply launch set for Dec. 8.

And NET does mean No Earlier Than.

So:

4th Reuse Launch - Booster is Block 3 originally used for CRS-11
Launch Date: NET Dec. 8
Launch time: 1820 GMT (1:20 p.m. EST)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida
Booster Recovery: RTLS at LZ-1

• Informative
Reactions: Mike1080i and jkn
One more delay on the static fire. It's now tomorrow: Tuesday December 5th. So far, there has been no slip on the launch date. I expect that there are some final issues that need to be cleared up with LC-40 causing the static fire slips.

Chris B with NSF on Twitter.
SpaceX Falcon 9 (CRS-13) Static Fire now NET Tuesday. No change to the launch date at this time (but worth keeping an eye on as it's tight based on previous CRS flow timelines).