Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 9th Reuse - Paz & Starlink Test Sats - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a crystal clear morning at Vandenberg. The contrast between the white rocket and strongback against the pitch blackness of the night was so stark and visually sharp on my computer screen. Always fun to watch! Congrats on a successful deployment of the PAZ. Too bad we lost ground station coverage of the Starlink deployment. I always love to see the satellites fall away. No doubt they will capture that fairing soon. That will be equally amazing.

Reactions: Grendal
Fairing as seen from Mr. Steve
fairing.PNG

Suppose this could be a future headache for commercially scheduled BFR/BFS earth hops.

If anyone can figure out a way to compensate for the issue it'll likely be SpaceX.

Interesting thought experiment. To date, winds really haven’t been a problem for rockets. Save for maybe a few tense moments on an interplanetary mission (so, a tight-ish window), winds just mean you scrub and try again tomorrow.

Obviously, that doesn’t work for scheduled transport service. It’s very possible there’s a ‘brute force’ aspect that Spacex can implement to reduce rocket delays to something like weather delays for current air travel.

If they make the fairings of some material that has a high buoyancy that can survive launch and reentry, why bother with a net, just have a ship in the area with a crane and pluck them out of the sea. The photo of that half reminds me of the 2nd stage that was floating in the ocean on the previous launch.

CBS radio news while I was in drivethru at Starbucks commented on the successful PAZ deployment but didn't mention the what I think is more interesting Starlink satellites for SpaceX. Nice the launch made the news and more people are probably aware of it though.

Last edited:
If they make the fairings of some material that has a high buoyancy that can survive launch and reentry, why bother with a net, just have a ship in the area with a crane and pluck them out of the sea.

The issue is any voids could fill with salt water/ spray. Likewise all the electrical components would need to be replaced (or at least removed, washed, inspected. but that won't be reliable for connectors/ wire harnesses).

Bringing this over from Starlink general.

@bxr140
Thanks for the pointers on torque rods, that is pretty cool.

I went digging on deorbit requirements. Found a reference to Inter-Agency Space Debris Coordination Committee (IADC) and ISO 24113 Debris mitigation requirements and compliance: It calls out a 25 year deorbit after service for satellites lower than 2,000km.

Based on this calculator, a 400 kg sat at 514 km (Tintin sized) will naturally deorbit in ~25 years if it has a cross section of at least 4.3 m^2.
Apparently, a bunch of cube sats will be hanging out for much longer...

• Informative
Based on this calculator, a 400 kg sat at 514 km (Tintin sized) will naturally deorbit in ~25 years if it has a cross section of at least 4.3 m^2.
Apparently, a bunch of cube sats will be hanging out for much longer...

Cool find. I’m not sure the delta between that and reality though. The generally accepted rule of thumb is that most practical payloads (from a size vs mass perspective) that are at ~500km or lower are going to deorbit themselves within the 25 year requirement.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo