Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 9th Reuse - Paz & Starlink Test Sats - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Vehicle: Falcon 9 (previously flown Block 3 on Formosat launch) - B1038
Launch Date: February 22, Thursday
Launch time: 1417 GMT (9:17 a.m. EST; 6:17 a.m. PST)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
Booster Recovery: Water landing maybe
Fairing Recovery: Experimental attempts are ongoing

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Paz satellite for Hisdesat of Madrid, Spain. Built by Airbus Defense and Space, Paz carries a radar imaging payload to collect views of Earth for government and commercial customers, along with ship tracking and weather sensors. Multiple smaller secondary payloads will also launch on the Falcon 9 rocket. The Falcon 9 rocket will launch with a previously-flown first stage. Delayed from Jan. 30. [Jan. 15]

Details on the satellite: Paz

SpaceX has received clearance from the government for the sonic booms associated with a landing attempt.

The satellite is a lightweight 1200 kg (2645 lbs.) which is why SpaceX is adding two of their Stalink test satellites with this launch.

Being an early morning launch before sunrise, the rocket will again fly into the sunlight and be backlit. If this is also a RTLS as it seems then the landing should also be spectacular as long as there is no fog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being an early morning launch before sunrise, the rocket will again fly into the sunlight and be backlit. If this is also a RTLS as it seems then the landing should also be spectacular as long as there is no fog.
When viewed from the coastline east of the southerly launch trajectory, won't the rocket be front-lit, not backlit? The evening launch of Iridium-4 was backlit just after sunset.

Reactions: jkn and Grendal
When viewed from the coastline east of the southerly launch trajectory, won't the rocket be front-lit, not backlit? The evening launch of Iridium-4 was backlit just after sunset.

I'm thinking the same thing. From VAFB they need to launch in the evening and climb into the light of there recently set Sun in the west to have the plume backlit as seen from the coast. ???

However, with an on time launch (0622 PST) happening about 22 minutes before local sunrise (0642), I guess it's possible something interesting might happen as the rocket passes into the light of the rising Sun.

We'll see... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
Is this launch still scheduled for Saturday 2/17 early a.m.? I tried to see if I could find it on SpaceX site but didn't see it or wasn't looking in the right place. We're going to be in the area that weekend, not sure if on Friday or Satuday though, and then head over for the Kettleman City meet up on Sunday and if the timing worked out would be great to catch the launch as well.

Reactions: Grendal
Is this launch still scheduled for Saturday 2/17 early a.m.? I tried to see if I could find it on SpaceX site but didn't see it or wasn't looking in the right place. We're going to be in the area that weekend, not sure if on Friday or Satuday though, and then head over for the Kettleman City meet up on Sunday and if the timing worked out would be great to catch the launch as well.

I have updated the first post and put in the scheduled launch time. 6:14 AM to view the launch. Sunrise on that day is 6:35 AM. Which means there should be relatively decent light for the launch and the rocket will rise into the light. That should make for a spectacular launch as long as there isn't too much fog. That is always a hazard for Vandenberg launches.

I forgot to add that the best internet site to see the launch schedule is here:
Launch Schedule – Spaceflight Now

I don't use it but if you are more a smartphone person then the SpaceXnow app is supposed to be great.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and SMAlset
I've trolled the SpaceX sites and the consensus seems to be, since this is a previously flown Block 3 booster, that SpaceX will expend the booster rather than have it RTLS on the West Coast. I expect they are doing this to also focus heavily on fairing recovery. Mr. Steven has already left port. Maybe another three engine water landing attempt for the data.

Just saw the change to the schedule. We'll be in the Paso Robles/Atascadeo area and heading later that a.m. for the Kettleman meet up. Anyone know if we'll still be able to see it in the sky from there or would that be too far north and need to travel further south? Too bad we're not staying closer like in Pismo along the coast.

Paso Robles/Atascadeo is more inland and before the 101 Cuesta Pass so not sure about the view being blocked from valley floor by the mountains and distance from VAFB. We did stay once in Atascadero up 41 near the ridge and sure we'd be able to catch it from there but not sure about driving up there at night. Worse case I guess we watch it on our phones but it would still be nice to see it in the actual sky and near dawn sure it would be visible.

Stats for this launch, if successful:
48 F9 launched - 1 failure in flight
1 FH
21 boosters recovered + 2 FH boosters
13 ASDS recoveries
8 + 2 FH ground pad recoveries
9 boosters reused

5 v1.0 cores
15 v1.1 cores - 1 failed
2 v1.2 (FT) Block 1
6 Block 2 - 2 of these reused
10 Block 3 - 7 of these reused
5 Block 4 - All 5 expected to be reused
2 Block 4 - awaiting launch

Now it looks like a scrub for Sunday's Paz launch. No known reason as to why yet, but apparently the Falcon 9 is being moved back to the hangar. The next opportunity will be Wednesday, February 21 at 14:17 UTC, (06:17 PST).
Chris B - NSF (@NASASpaceflight) | Twitter
From SpaceX:
“Team at Vandenberg is taking additional time to perform final checkouts of upgraded fairing. Payload and vehicle remain healthy. Due to mission requirements, now targeting February 21 launch of PAZ.“
SpaceX on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: jkn and Grendal