Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Block 5 - Telstar 19V - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9465855A-508F-4BE6-9186-77FEA578236B.png

28B72D32-C961-4D4F-80D4-FAA7AB6D7DF9.png
From second startup burn

Reactions: Grendal
At T+6:45 the commentator incorrectly states that Stage 1 is travelling at 17K km/hr, and should get to zero in 90 seconds. That is actually the speed of the 2nd stage. Stage 1 is travelling at a much more sedate 8K km/hr.

At T+6:45 the commentator incorrectly states that Stage 1 is travelling at 17K km/hr, and should get to zero in 90 seconds. That is actually the speed of the 2nd stage. Stage 1 is travelling at a much more sedate 8K km/hr.
Yeah, a rookie error from an experienced commentator!
BTW: how much does SpaceX charge for such a satellite launch, anyone know?
And: Yes, digging the power of Block 5.....

My highlights:

Am always amazed at the beating the first stage takes from the lighting of the second stage engine. But to see it at night, it really brings home how powerful the second stage is. First stage keeps getting hit for a while.

Engine startup:
0E0178B4-7278-4365-9DE2-248FE0228118.png

The first stage deploying its grid fins, while they are lit up by the second stage's plume:
6F463F71-573E-43B1-8AE4-2234F1029242.png

My personal favorite, on the left: no idea what that was, but this happened in-between the entry burn and the landing burn. Burn had been done for a while.
It was beautiful and fast moving. Reminded me of light-speed travel in Star Wars:

D9DF3DC0-89C1-4AD3-9CB1-FAFF57011A03.png

Reactions: SMAlset and Grendal
Sounds like you need a better satellite in orbit for more bandwidth. Hopefully some launch company puts a big new satellite up there to give you that bandwidth.

:)
That’s exactly what we’ve been hoping for. Consider ourselves as poster children for the project.

In the meantime, yet another Kodak AK - rocklet launch last night went sideways. Literally.

Just watched the webcast and happy that the mission was a success. Wish the stage landing videolink had worked better, I love watching touchdown.

At launch I did not hear Gwynne doing the “T-10, 9...” countdown, I only heard “1, ignition, liftoff”. She must have said the full sequence but I didn’t hear it.

Noticed that too but then who else like me was doing the countdown out loud anyway?! Haha how can you not? Kind of rolls out of the mouth automatically for me :p

Reactions: Grendal and ccutrer
Has anyone heard when they are going to try to catch a payload fairing with the new bigger net on Mr. Steven?

Dan

Mr. Steven is on the west coast, this was an east coast launch. But they have a west coast launch early Wednesday morning 7/25, 4:30AM local time from Vandenberg Air Force Base so we may see a recovery attempt then! Might be tough though if it's still dark.