Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
This is the another big one for the Crew program: a crewed flight!

Launch Date: May 30
Launch Window: 3:22 pm EDT (12:22pm PDT, 19:22 UTC).
Launch site: LC-39A, Cape Canaveral, Florida
Booster Recovery: ASDS
Booster Type: B1058.1
Mass: Crew Dragon 12,055 kg
Orbit: LEO - ISS
Crew: Commander Douglas Hurley and Pilot Bob Behnken
Backup Crew: Michael Hopkins and Victor Glover
Dragon Return - Undocking August 1st (likely delayed) - Splashdown and recovery on August 2nd

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Crew Dragon spacecraft on its first test flight with astronauts on-board to the International Space Station under the auspices of NASA’s commercial crew program. NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken will fly on the Demo-2 mission. The Crew Dragon will return to a splashdown at sea.

Crew Dragon

In the flurry of press conferences, articles and live streams surrounding the Starliner launch and landing, I remember someone saying something to the effect that SpaceX’s Demo 2 would be in the Spring, which would be a delay of 1-3 months from the current NET February. I forgot to note who said this, so take this with a boulder-sized grain of salt.

Pic! NASA on Twitter

ENpHsDwWwAAEueY

I’m more excited about SpaceX taking humans to orbit because it will provide the company with valuable experience that will be needed for the first crewed Starship flights. Building orbital class rockets and reusing them is one thing, but keeping humans alive in space is completely different. Sure, “we” know how to do it, but SpaceX has never done it before.

LEO this year, Mars in this decade!

Reactions: e-FTW and EVCollies