Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dress rehearsal!

1 hour video mostly no audio. Make up your own dialog!
Source: {{ngMeta.title}}
Straight file:
https://images-assets.nasa.gov/vide...ry_Dress_Rehearsal_re-edit-3246949~medium.mp4

Here are the interesting bits in there around the boring tracking shots of the (rather impressive) convoy:

00:00 Dress-up party
1:43 (Audio) Building exit, set up in convoy (Model Xs, heavy military security detail)
6:30 Convoy departs. This gets boring for 20 minutes or so. Call you mom and say hi or something. Or skip to...
27:34 Arrival at pad, pose for pics, Doug and Bob stop to try and stare up at the tower, elevator entry: someone has to press the button, and of course the other door opens. They are just like us!
29:00 Elevator exit (they gotta do something about that aggressive elevator door, there are TWO astronauts here): what was going on with Bob’s leg pocket there? May not want to know? Haha!
Decor: Such black, much dark!
30:28 What, stairs? Like normal people?? Doug checks out the view, Bob robotically follows suit. Then Bob seemingly struggles to order a pizza with a land line. Like it’s 2010 or something...
32:00 Doug testing walking down a line of chevrons...
33:00 Man it’s windy up there. Time to hit the Crew Access Arm!
34:00 Checking out Dragon through the open hatch: “Did we get enough beer? We’ll be up there for a while.”
34:47 Posing for pics. Is that a Geiger counter?
35:40 Bob points to “watch”: “Pizza should be here soon guys.”
36:20 Social Distancing joke from Bob.
37:00 Technician in the background seemingly taking a series of capsule inventory shots
38:00 MAN I wish there was audio here! What are they discussing? I want to know!
39:30 Technicians tear a soft cover off the right leg of each of the crew: “Doug, did you feel that?” Doug: “Yep! Just like TSA amirite? At least my tech warned me!”
40:00 Oxygen line jammed into Bob’s upper leg, Doug says: “Bob, you know that was meme-worthy right? I made sure NOT to be facing the camera myself ;-)”
Long chat which I assume was about the pizza protocol.
41:41 Bob: “Hey don’t mess with the beer!” Doug: “Yeah, I have some sweet ale by the door sill!” Tech: “We were just making they would stay cool.” Bob: “Yeah she gets it.”
42:00 Doug and Bob spot the pizza guy. Last group pics!
44:00 Time to jet.
I really wish we get that audio at one point...
45:45: Headed down the stairs. Those suits seem quite easy to get around in. Bob: “I can smell that pizza.”
46:25 They wait for the elevator. Like normals! Lol
47:30 Bob: “Dang it Doug! Why did you hit all the buttons!”
48:00 Elevator exit, Model X entry. Immediate exit, someone must be have dropped pocket change between the seats.
49:43 Doug: “Driver quit hogging, hand over the pizza!”
54:28 “Jeez Larry, we’ve been waiting five minutes! Where were you?” Doug: “I lit up the elevator buttons on the way out too! LOL”
54:49 (Bumpy) departure from launch tower/pad, drive down ramp.
More convoy shots, pad with Flacon 9 rocket and Crew Dragon in the background, then hamburger. The End.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joerg
Over the weekend The Atlantic published a balanced article that weighs-in on the COVID factor vs. decision date for the DM-2 launch. Quoting, "The country, Bridenstine believes, could really use this right now. “It’s going to uplift America,” he said in a recent CNBC interview. “We need that moment right now in American history.” The historic launch, the rationale seems to be, has taken on new importance during a difficult time." Yet, former NASA deputy administrator Lori Garver is not on board with a go decision. So, although we can't escape the news there's likely a political component at work here, fortunately I believe most experts are confident that SpaceX is ready to shine!
The Mission NASA Doesn’t Want to Postpone

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and Cosmacelf
So, although we can't escape the news there's likely a political component at work here, fortunately I believe most experts are confident that SpaceX is ready to shine!
I would not assume that “political” considerations are Bridenstine’s primary motivation for making DM-2 happen in May. Making that mission happen soon would simply be an uplifting piece of news for everyone, and I hope it happens in the timeframe NASA is working towards.

Reactions: Grendal and e-FTW
First post updated.

BREAKING: On May 27, @NASA will once again launch American astronauts on American rockets from American soil! With our @SpaceX partners, @Astro_Doug and @AstroBehnken will launch to the @Space_Station on the #CrewDragon spacecraft atop a Falcon 9 rocket. Let's #LaunchAmerica
1f1fa-1f1f8.png

Jim Bridenstine on Twitter

93364432_743458703054504_7095477528533401600_o.jpg

Credit for picture is GDBarrett.com

News of a launch date for DM-2 is a great way to help celebrate the safe return of the Apollo 13 crew fifty years ago today. NASA has put up a link with more detail about the mission.
NASA Launch America
It's now confirmed that Doug Hurley will be the Demo-2 spacecraft commander. Bob Behnken is listed as "joint operations commander", a crew position I don't believe NASA has designated in past flights. I also don't think that NASA has ever launched a crew without an exact mission duration. "Although the Crew Dragon being used for this flight test can stay in orbit about 110 days, the specific mission duration will be determined once on station based on the readiness of the next commercial crew launch." Maybe the guys that remain in the launch date contest can approximate splashdown for us?:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Grendal and e-FTW
.. Maybe the guys that remain in the launch date contest can approximate splashdown for us?:rolleyes:

What - you're looking for an Oracle now?

Heck - I'm going for 110 days +/- 4 days (I don't know how they measure the 110 days - does it include the time in orbit getting to the station, or the time in orbit before splashdown? And just how long is it from leaving ISS to splashdown? So many unknowns).

My 110 days comes from the belief that SpaceX is going to be ready to do the next mission as scheduled (110 days). And I expect that if NASA wants to keep launching whether Boeing is ever ready or not, then SpaceX will be able to to do that.

Edit to add: The first one is hard - really hard. But the second is reasonably straightforward, and the third and later will be semi-routine (for SpaceX).

Reactions: Grendal
What - you're looking for an Oracle now?

Heck - I'm going for 110 days +/- 4 days (I don't know how they measure the 110 days - does it include the time in orbit getting to the station, or the time in orbit before splashdown? And just how long is it from leaving ISS to splashdown? So many unknowns).

My 110 days comes from the belief that SpaceX is going to be ready to do the next mission as scheduled (110 days). And I expect that if NASA wants to keep launching whether Boeing is ever ready or not, then SpaceX will be able to to do that.

Edit to add: The first one is hard - really hard. But the second is reasonably straightforward, and the third and later will be semi-routine (for SpaceX).
If Crew-1 is ready to launch as scheduled in August and Demo-2 must land 30 days prior, the max mission length is ~60 days. Regardless, Demo-2 is a "demo" in name only.

Reactions: Grendal