Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? That makes no sense. Watching a SpaceX launch does not provide immunity to SARS-CoV-2. Obviously.
Direct sunlight or extreme heat kills the virus. He might just be a well-intentioned southern sheriff. Happy to look the other way if you can get close enough to feel the burn.
837eed5899261719982055e7c47dfcd8.gif

• Funny
Reactions: EVCollies and e-FTW
Really? That makes no sense. Watching a SpaceX launch does not provide immunity to SARS-CoV-2. Obviously.
Of course it doesn’t. The sheriff is just recognizing that you can’t piss off thousands of voters. If you haven’t been here for a launch, you have no idea how worked up some of us locals and rocket fanboys can get over a launch. I’ll be at Port Canaveral, hopefully at Grills for the launch..

Last edited:
Can we keep coronavirus politics and general bitching out of this thread please?

Agreed. I don't want to delete a bunch of posts.

First post has been updated with current information.

And because it is a number of pages back. here it is here as well:

Launch Date: May 27th
Launch Window: 4:33pm EDT (1:33pm PDT, 20:33 UTC).
Launch site: LC-39A, Cape Canaveral, Florida
Booster Recovery: ASDS
Booster Type: B1058.1
Mass: 12,055 kg (DM-1)
Orbit: LEO - ISS (Docking time 11:30 AM EDT)
Crew: Commander Douglas Hurley and Pilot Bob Behnken
Backup Crew: Michael Hopkins and Victor Glover
Dragon Return - TBD

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: e-FTW and EVCollies
Loren Grush has published an interesting interview with Garret Reisman. He reflects on his time spent at SpaceX developing Crew Dragon. He also explains his emotional connection to DM-2 and the crew.
I find it impressive that a NASA astronaut retired to seek a job at SpaceX. Primarily driven by chance back in 2010 during an experience he shared along with his STS-132 crew.
Former astronaut and SpaceX consultant on creating a new crewed spacecraft: ‘We were really the underdogs’
I really like the part where he describes how the cargo program benefited Crew Dragon, helping them test things along the way. It’s all connected.

Reactions: Grendal
Loren Grush has published an interesting interview with Garret Reisman. He reflects on his time spent at SpaceX developing Crew Dragon. He also explains his emotional connection to DM-2 and the crew.
I find it impressive that a NASA astronaut retired to seek a job at SpaceX. Primarily driven by chance back in 2010 during an experience he shared along with his STS-132 crew.
Former astronaut and SpaceX consultant on creating a new crewed spacecraft: ‘We were really the underdogs’

I totally get what Reismann said about why he decided to look into SpaceX after seeing how they renovated that launch pad in record time. I was fortunate enough to get a tour of SpaceX about six years ago. When I realized they were out competing cheap Chinese labor using Los Angeles workers, a light bulb turned on. If Elon could do that with SpaceX, I realized he was eventually going to steamroll the auto industry as well.

How long this mission lasts (1 to 4 months) will be driven by Dragon's solar panel performance degradation: Dragon solar array concerns driving duration of first crewed test flight – Spaceflight Now

From that article, this puts it in perspective:

“We think about Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and then space shuttle,” Bridenstine said. “Those are really the four times in history when we have put humans on brand new spacecraft, and now we’re doing it for a fifth time, and that’s just the United States.

“If you look globally, this will be the ninth time in history when we’ve put humans on a brand new spacecraft (design),” he said. “And the last time the United States did it was on STS-1, when we launched the the space shuttle for the first time back in 1981. So it’s been a long time since we put humans on a brand new spacecraft. Thats what this is and it is truly a test flight.”

NASA TV will be providing at least 24 hours of uninterrupted coverage dedicated to DM-2 launch, rendezvous and docking with the ISS. The broadcast begins May 27th, 12:15 pm EDT. Docking with the ISS is slated for the 28th, 11:29 am EDT. The crucial Flight Readiness Review results should be announced by the late afternoon on Thursday, May 21st.
As when they previously coordinated during DM-1 events, it seems likely that NASA public relations personal will be paired up with SpaceX employees.
A comprehensive list of DM-2 activities can be found here, along with any possible schedule changes.
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...x-commercial-crew-test-flight-with-astronauts