Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bob I think adding some film to what looks like a filter box to me. Also photo of zero G dino.

7F5245F6-1014-41F1-AFA0-DA9E03629E08.jpeg

956CF05D-7D27-443C-B547-B59E985326DF.png

D798A6D9-D7CC-4D3C-A26E-8DBC4D4C42B1.png

That picture showing all those people in the ISS control room with no masks and close together is disturbing. It would only take one person in that group becoming symptomatic to severely impact ISS operations.

I stopped watching the stream when the bigwigs started speaking. But I’m thrilled with how the mission went! As near as I can tell, once again Crew Dragon and the F9 performed perfectly. Docking was flawless, apparently. The minor glitch with establishing hard comm from station to capsule was the only issue I saw.

So hearty congratulations to the SpaceX team! This has been a historic 24 hours for space exploration and I’m thrilled I got to watch it live. I watched the Apollo 11 mission live but at age 15 I lacked the perspective to appreciate how momentous that was. However, the fact that a commercial company is now sending humans into orbit is laying the foundation for even more important events going forward!

Reactions: Dr. J and Joerg
Bob I think adding some film to what looks like a filter box to me. Also photo of zero G dino.

View attachment 546467

View attachment 546461

View attachment 546462

He was sealing up a scrubber canister to save it since they won't be using the system on Dragon while docked at the ISS. The canisters (which scrub CO2) get depleted over time, so no point in wasting it or having to drag along a spare. There is a vent hose that was pulled through the hatch from the ISS into Dragon to keep the air circulating.

Remember the snafu on Apollo 13?

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
He was sealing up a scrubber canister to save it since they won't be using the system on Dragon while docked at the ISS. The canisters (which scrub CO2) get depleted over time, so no point in wasting it or having to drag along a spare. There is a vent hose that was pulled through the hatch from the ISS into Dragon to keep the air circulating.

Remember the snafu on Apollo 13?

Thanks for all that. I did notice the hose, hard to miss and good think they could float over instead of trip over :D. Unfortunately while I know I watched some of the Apollo 13 mission I was still in HS school so would have missed a lot, plus not into the more technical how it works at that point. What was the snafu?

Was talking to my husband today while watching the hatch opening and commented on I’m still amazed we have this orbiting space station constructed and occupied all these years. Marveling at all the components on it and how much training it takes to be a “handyman” there. I remember an article on designing parts of ISS including the toilet and how it would work. Something we don’t give a thought to using in our own lives here unless it needs servicing...and then for the most part its calling in outside help except for the plumbing handy.

Thanks for all that. I did notice the hose, hard to miss and good think they could float over instead of trip over :D. Unfortunately while I know I watched some of the Apollo 13 mission I was still in HS school so would have missed a lot, plus not into the more technical how it works at that point. What was the snafu?

Maybe rent the movie Apollo 13, or find the many on line videos about the mission. A triumph of ingenuity and intelligence over disaster. My reference was to a problem where the 3 Apollo astronauts 'camped out' in the LEM when the Command Module was dying. The LEMs CO2 scrubber was designed to handle 2 astronauts for a few days, not 3 astronauts for 5+ days. The scrubber cartridges in the LEM were cylindrical. When the cartridge was consumed, and the astronauts were experiencing excess CO2 (deadly), they had to improvise as the canisters in the CM were rectangular (so not 'plug and play'). The law of unintended consequences.

Maybe rent the movie Apollo 13, or find the many on line videos about the mission. A triumph of ingenuity and intelligence over disaster. My reference was to a problem where the 3 Apollo astronauts 'camped out' in the LEM when the Command Module was dying. The LEMs CO2 scrubber was designed to handle 2 astronauts for a few days, not 3 astronauts for 5+ days. The scrubber cartridges in the LEM were cylindrical. When the cartridge was consumed, and the astronauts were experiencing excess CO2 (deadly), they had to improvise as the canisters in the CM were rectangular (so not 'plug and play'). The law of unintended consequences.

Been years since I saw the movie, probably since whenever it came out. Appreciate the explanation. McGyver it then. :D

I heard them kidding with Chris this morning about finding other things for Doug and Bob to do to keep them longer. Is there a return date and alternates planned out for the Demo-2 mission announced yet? I got the impression it was at least for two months from maybe what Kathy said.

Last edited:
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I listened to it and Elon’s “The trampoline is working!” was certainly the high point. Elon called that “an inside joke” but to us space geeks there was nothing subtle about it; we knew exactly what he was referring to. I bet it made Bridenstine cringe a bit as he had just finished talking about how Roscosmos had publicly praised the launch.

Other than that, not much new was said. It was good to see Elon be so open about what a heavy responsibility it is to fly humans to orbit in a SpaceX vehicle. I also was glad to see him repeatedly emphasize that the goal of SpaceX is make humanity a multi-planetary species.
are you referring to this one with Jim and Elon after the launch with press questions (41 min)?

New Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I listened to it and Elon’s “The trampoline is working!” was certainly the high point. Elon called that “an inside joke” but to us space geeks there was nothing subtle about it; we knew exactly what he was referring to. I bet it made Bridenstine cringe a bit as he had just finished talking about how Roscosmos had publicly praised the launch.

Russia took the joke well: Дмитрий Рогозин on Twitter