Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That picture showing all those people in the ISS control room with no masks and close together is disturbing. It would only take one person in that group becoming symptomatic to severely impact ISS operations.!
It would be bad indeed if one person in the control room became symptomatic. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take that to set off a viral chain reaction. All it would take is one person shedding virus in sufficient quantity, symptomatic or not. And given a large (but as yet conclusively established) number of people who are highly infectious display no symptoms at all, it is a very dumb way to run your control room.
Robin

Reactions: Dr. J
What can be this card given back to the helper? ( see video at 5:51:11 )

View attachment 545524
It's a tradition of taking the name patch of the closeout crew and returning it upon landing.
Tradition, Tragedy, Tribute: The Story of Doug Hurley, Bob Behnken, Columbia, and Endeavour - NASASpaceFlight.com
While boarding Dragon for the first Demo-2 launch attempt on Wednesday, May 27, Hurley was seen ripping a SpaceX closeout crew member’s patch off of their uniform, and placing it on the Crew Dragon control panel. The technician working with Behnken was also seen missing their name patch. In the end, no launch occurred on Wednesday, and the crew did return the patches to their owners.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
It would be bad indeed if one person in the control room became symptomatic. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take that to set off a viral chain reaction. All it would take is one person shedding virus in sufficient quantity, symptomatic or not. And given a large (but as yet conclusively established) number of people who are highly infectious display no symptoms at all, it is a very dumb way to run your control room.
Robin
I agree, but they would not realize there was a problem until at least one person became symptomatic.

The press conference is going on on NASA’s site. Elon is there along with Jim.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-l...-2-mission-to-the-international-space-station
“The United States is a distillation of the human spirit of exploration. I think this is something that’s particularly important in the United States, but appeals to everyone throughout the world who has, within them, the spirit of exploration.”

-- Elon Musk, May 30, 2020, representing SpaceX, subsequent the launching of two USA astronauts toward the ISS (International Space Station) ferried by SpaceX, and restoration of USA astronauts flying in USA rockets to space after cessation of that since the closure of the USA government run NASA Space Shuttle program in 2011. On May 31, 2020, the two astronauts docked and boarded into the ISS.​

===

“NASA doesn’t want to be the owner and operator of the hardware. We also don’t want to be the only customer. We want SpaceX and others to go get customers that are not us. And when all that materializes, I think what Elon’s talking about here, this vision, for humanity being able to live on the surface of the moon for long periods of time and eventually on Mars for long periods of time, that’s the eventuality of the business model that we are currently developing.”

— Jim Bridenstine, The Administrator of NASA, same press conference (May 30, 2020)​

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
Robin

hate to think if it ever made it to the ISS. I honestly don’t get how, knowing how it spreads and the effect it can have on some, wearing a mask is a big ask. Any reduction of spread is a good thing. Don’t want to turn conversation into a cv one but you saw people at SpaceX with masks and few if any at NASA with them. Had to wonder if there was a directive from high up about that.

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 19.57.04.png

hate to think if it ever made it to the ISS. I honestly don’t get how, knowing how it spreads and the effect it can have on some, wearing a mask is a big ask. Any reduction of spread is a good thing. Don’t want to turn conversation into a cv one but you saw people at SpaceX with masks and few if any at NASA with them. Had to wonder if there was a directive from high up about that.
I have an answer. I don't think it's anything we like, though.

Engineers at one company and government workers at one agency. Scientists advising engineers at one ecosystem and China-run WHO-guided government agency CDC advising government workers at another. Physics First principles at one company and Mandates First at a political entity voted into place by We the People to represent us and our goals and whatever we were lobbied into by many far away people. It might be unavoidable at some levels, but of course, we could poke our fingers in the holes of the situation and say "look! I found some holes!". Yes, we know that we must manufacture locally what we depend on if the long distance routes are interruptible (or can be a conduit through which local stores are looted (especially if the far away places lobbied us hard to put in laws that outlaw local manufacture and selling at market rates)). Jim Bridenstine, The Administrator of NASA, understands a lot of that, but is still working for We the People in our government, so is still a part of that, along with all the good and bad of it. Eventually, the long arm of government gets extended out far enough to the long arm of companies that can pick up the more mundane aspects of colonizing space, like making rockets that go to Mars and populating Mars. We could have done that with companies, too, but there were some efficiencies of scale that were made easy by forcing money from our citizens at gunpoint and using that for specialized programs to propel us into space much quicker. It worked, and we hiccuped a bunch of times, and now we're here!

I wondered the same thing.
Robin

When is Dragon expected to return with the crew? Is it the same crew returning?
Date is TBD, depends on when the next crew and vehicle are ready for the Crew-1 mission, planned for end of August. The Demo-2 crew needs to come back much before that so that there is time to review the mission and certify the vehicle for operational missions.
The maximum length for Demo-2 is driven by many factors, but the main one seems to be the health of the solar panels on Dragon. They will track how they age on orbit and decide when is the last moment they can leave with a healthy vehicle. And yes it is the same crew. You come back in the vehicle you came up on.

Date is TBD, depends on when the next crew and vehicle are ready for the Crew-1 mission, planned for end of August. The Demo-2 crew needs to come back much before that so that there is time to review the mission and certify the vehicle for operational missions.
The maximum length for Demo-2 is driven by many factors, but the main one seems to be the health of the solar panels on Dragon. They will track how they age on orbit and decide when is the last moment they can leave with a healthy vehicle. And yes it is the same crew. You come back in the vehicle you came up on.
So it has to be much earlier than Crew-1 is launched. If Crew-1 is launched in August, I would think Demo-2 should be back before end of July. So around 8 weeks docked with ISS ?

Reactions: e-FTW
Funny how they spent two hours attached to the station while they figured out how to get communications working and set up the video cameras for the big show.

I bet it would have taken over an hour anyway with pressure equalization and all the close-out steps on board. I was half-watching and noting how methodical their operations were. It was kinda like this:

"Okay Bob you are GO with Step 4.2.1"

"Roger Step 4.2.1". ZIP. "Step 4.2.1 completed."

"And Bob you can now proceed with closeout step 5.1.9"

"Roger Houston Step 5.1.9". FLUSH.

Funny how they spent two hours attached to the station while they figured out how to get communications working and set up the video cameras for the big show.

I bet it would have taken over an hour anyway with pressure equalization and all the close-out steps on board. I was half-watching and noting how methodical their operations were. It was kinda like this:

"Okay Bob you are GO with Step 4.2.1"

"Roger Step 4.2.1". ZIP. "Step 4.2.1 completed."

"And Bob you can now proceed with closeout step 5.1.9"

"Roger Houston Step 5.1.9". FLUSH.
100%!
The euphemisms were the best! “Wait a bit on the cameras we are not done with ‘ops’...” and “Flush the waste system”.