Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just able to tune into the last DM-2 press briefing with Bob, Doug, and Chris, onboard the ISS. A couple of takeaways. I read into remarks made by Bob and Doug that no one will be surprised if tomorrow's undocking gets postponed, delaying the splashdown scheduled for Sunday afternoon. At that time Hurricane Isaias is forecasted to be just off the east coast of Florida. If necessary they have plenty of food onboard the ISS to hold them over. The undocking won't happen without a commitment to a specific landing area.
When asked about his wife's planned Crew-2 flight, Bob revealed that they had hints before his flight that Megan would be named to that crew. He mentioned he'll have tips for her on how to pack and stow items on Endeavour.

When asked if they've spoken with Elon during the mission Bob and Doug responded they spoke before the flight, but on the ISS they've talked with Gwynne and Hans, along with other SpaceX engineers.

Eric Berger asked a rather odd question concerning if technical manuals onboard Endeavour were labeled 'Komodo Dragon'. The astros seemed perplexed (amused?) assuring him that was not the case.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
NASA and SpaceX just announced that conditions are still "Go" for tomorrow's splashdown at the primary landing site. They're still leaving themselves an "out" as they will make a final decision to undock today at 5pm EDT. They've chosen to stay far west of Hurricane Isaias's projected path, aiming for an area to the south of Pensacola. Judging by an "X" mark I saw on a diagram the capsule might be targeting a site about 60 miles offshore.
I know in the past astronauts have trained for splashdowns in the Gulf of Mexico, but this would be an actual first for any crewed flight.
NASA’s SpaceX Demo-2: Teams Targeting Gulf of Mexico for Splashdown – Commercial Crew Program

Eric Berger asked a rather odd question concerning if technical manuals onboard Endeavour were labeled 'Komodo Dragon'. The astros seemed perplexed (amused?) assuring him that was not the case.
Eric was asking if they had seen what he had heard from sources: the toilet on Dragon referred to as CommodeODragon (or KomodoDragon) in technical manuals. Sadly, Bob and Doug did not hear him correctly and we missed out on a funny interaction!

BTW SpaceX's website is listing spash down around 2:48pm EDT / 11:48am PDT.

AUGUST 2 (EDT)
1:51 p.m. Trunk jettison
1:56 p.m. Deorbit burn
2:48 p.m. Dragon splashdown

Also saw elsewhere that the Post-splashdown news conference is set for 4:30pm EDT / 1:30 p.m. PDT.

Last edited:
Where are Elon and Gwynne^

here

C99F26E3-1628-4301-903D-A7505A9089F7.jpeg