Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Crew 2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post launch press conference with Elon:

Lots of questions for Elon about Starship.
Queued up to start when Elon starts answering questions. He’s really tired, but his answers get better as he goes along.

In the end, it was a giant free PR gift for SpaceX. ALL the reporters directed their questions to Elon, mostly about HLS and Starship. BO and ULA executives must be gritting their teeth.

Queued up to start when Elon starts answering questions. He’s really tired, but his answers get better as he goes along.

In the end, it was a giant free PR gift for SpaceX. ALL the reporters directed their questions to Elon, mostly about HLS and Starship. BO and ULA executives must be gritting their teeth.
One team delivers, the other does not.

That was an an interestingly slow inflation of the fourth main chute. Not surprised the two commentators held off mentioning it until they had more information. Watching live was kind of a "what the heck?" moment. At least someone promptly gave them the word it was still a nominal inflation. I'm sure three chutes are fine, but with the Crew-3 launch on deck, it's something SpaceX/Nasa will be quick to study.

That was an an interestingly slow inflation of the fourth main chute. Not surprised the two commentators held off mentioning it until they had more information. Watching live was kind of a "what the heck?" moment. At least someone promptly gave them the word it was still a nominal inflation. I'm sure three chutes are fine, but with the Crew-3 launch on deck, it's something SpaceX/Nasa will be quick to study.
Yeah, I was wondering why they were saying "four good chutes" on the webcast, when you could clearly see one was not inflating. It looked like it was still reefed until pretty late in the descent, but I thought maybe there was some delay in the video we were seeing compared to the telemetry or video they had available to them. I felt nervous watching it, but they were confident the descent rate was okay so I don't think there was any real danger. I assume one chute would be sufficient for the landing to be survivable and the other three are there for redundancy and comfort, but I don't think I've ever actually seen anything on what the minimum requirement would be.