Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - CSG-2 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. The Hold was called out at T-33 seconds. Apparently the Coast Guard tried, but couldn't reach the cruise ship inside the red zone. Will try again for Monday, believe they're still looking at a 24 turnaround....Boy, these three tightly scheduled launches are becoming quite the clusterfleet to follow. Although probably not a bad problem to have!

Yup. The Hold was called out at T-33 seconds. Apparently the Coast Guard tried, but couldn't reach the cruise ship inside the red zone. Will try again for Monday, believe they're still looking at a 24 turnaround....Boy, these three tightly scheduled launches are becoming quite the clusterfleet to follow. Although probably not a bad problem to have!
Now, a nuclear attack sub with torpedoes would have cleared the pathway! I personally hope the "cruise line" is fined a whopping amount. How stupid! I'm going on a cruise in a few months, and I plan to give the captain a little grief about how these ships can blithely wander around with such a lack of intelligence in charge.

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
Honestly what is the danger? The cruise passengers will get a fantastic ring side view of the landing.

Is this a hedge on the small probability that the rocket might explode or crash land on the ship?

Yes. Yeah, I know, if I were a cruise ship passenger, I’d say, let er rip!

Maybe now that rockets are way safer than they used to be, restrictions could be lessened?

Yes, the visuals at MECO were fantastic! That’s the first time I can recall seeing a ground camera pick up the solid orange heat signature from the second stage vacuum nozzle.

Usually the vehicle is flying away from land—this time it was basically flying down the coast at much closer range to land based cameras.

These ranges I believe are Apollo era rules and regulations. They need to revisited.

This is a pretty new flight profile and it’s appropriate to layer on conservative stay out zones. The risk is primarily the debris field from an explosion (anomalous or intended) rather than a one in a gazillion unfortunate lawn (ocean?) dart scenario.

It really comes down to a probabilistic analysis of a worst case debris field layered on a probabilistic analysis of a vessel being hit by a piece of debris. There’s certainly room for tightening the margins, but probably not to any significant degree without adding more [paper] risk.

The angle of the footage of the stage separation makes me think it may have been taken from an aircraft instead of from the ground. There was a shot that appeared to be from the ground just before main engine cutoff and the image was dominated by the main engine plume.

So what camera system did they use? I don't think we've ever had such high res, high magnification ground shots before? Did SpaceX just buy an upgraded camera system? Or did NASA let them use theirs?
This was a telescope, basically.

like this...
1643701234549.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Hurricane4911