Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - GPS 3 SV04 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: November 5
Launch Window: 2324-2339 GMT (6:24-6:39 p.m. EST)
Launch Site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida
Booster Recovery: ASDS - OCISLY
Booster: B1062.1
Mass: 3,880 kg (8,553 lb)
Orbit: Semi-synchronous MEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the U.S. Air Force’s fourth third-generation navigation satellite for the Global Positioning System. The satellite is built by Lockheed Martin.

GPS Block III - Wikipedia

Last edited:
This SLC-40 launch will be just two days after Starlink 12 launches from SLC-40?

Nice spot! It looks like Starlink 12 moved to LC-39A for its launch. That post has been updated. It's good that SpaceX has two launch pads at the Cape.

It makes sense that this one happens on the military base while Starlink launches from the civilian launch site.

It's also good they've got two ASDS's for recovery because they are needed for both of these launches. I wonder which one will get which? I'll post when I know.

Last edited:
This appears to be why the launch scrubbed.

3AB66B10-A2EE-4ABA-8193-59C1A4AE36B8.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Looks like Elon is not too pleased with these system malfunction induced aborts. Understandably. These Falcon 9s have flown many times, I guess 100 or more, so this should go like clockwork barring any weather related delays.

Anyone know what happened?
We'll probably get details tomorrow during the Crew 1 briefing. Something in certain engines was causing an overpressure event. Two were exchanged in B1062 and one was exchanged in B1061. Supposedly this wasn't terribly bad and seen before but the NRO and NASA are being especially sensitive and cautious with their important payloads. :)

Reactions: e-FTW and Cosmacelf
It was gunk in a few engines:
They were able to replicate the failure on McGregor. A relief valve on the gas generator was slightly blocked by some substance and made it start earlier than expected. The substance is one used during production and was not properly retired. Once retired the engine worked perfectly normal and was ready to go. They, out of extra precaution, replaced two engines on Crew 1.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW