Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - GPS III-1 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8887AC4C-79B2-43D3-A6C9-9D07FF970C18.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
During MECO the interstage detaches from 2nd stage and stays attached with the first stage and lands, whereas in this picture it is shown attached to 2nd stage and detached from 1st stage.

Wondering if that is how it is assembled.

During MECO the interstage detaches from 2nd stage and stays attached with the first stage and lands, whereas in this picture it is shown attached to 2nd stage and detached from 1st stage.

Wondering if that is how it is assembled.

Look at it again. The interstage is attached to the booster stage. The second stage bell just slides all the way in to the interstage normally. Right now, they are separated.

The second stage is on the left of the picture and the black is the interstage attached to the booster stage on the right.

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW
The large bell lets the gasses expand more to boost efficiency. To see the effect of impedance matching in action (sort of similar), check out this video:

Sort of because, if the sea level engine had that large an expansion ratio, the exhaust would be less than atmospheric and cause bad things to happen at the boundary. Flow is like DC whereas sound is like AC.

Look at it again. The interstage is attached to the booster stage. The second stage bell just slides all the way in to the interstage normally. Right now, they are separated.

The second stage is on the left of the picture and the black is the interstage attached to the booster stage on the right.
You are right.. thanks.

When the stages separate, the 1st stage has to slide away without hitting the 2nd stage nozzle (bell) and damaging it. Thats got to be a bit tricky, because the separation happens at incredible speed and through pyrotechnics. So I guess there will be a lot of vibration and shaking. Any damage to the nozzle will impact the 2nd stage performance

You are right.. thanks.

When the stages separate, the 1st stage has to slide away without hitting the 2nd stage nozzle (bell) and damaging it. Thats got to be a bit tricky, because the separation happens at incredible speed and through pyrotechnics. So I guess there will be a lot of vibration and shaking. Any damage to the nozzle will impact the 2nd stage performance

No pyrotechnics on SpaceX. Helium powered pusher shoves the 2nd stage out via ram in the engine throat. The center part of the tripod structure in the interstage.

No pyrotechnics on SpaceX. Helium powered pusher shoves the 2nd stage out via ram in the engine throat. The center part of the tripod structure in the interstage.
Interesting.

Aren't they bolted together on the rim? how do you un-bolt them during MECO? I thought it is a two step process happening in very rapid succession - you first remove whatever holds them together through pyrotechnics and then push/shove them away through other means.

When I visited FH launch, on the Saturn V display I asked one of the NASA guides and all he said was "pyrotechnics".

Interesting.

Aren't they bolted together on the rim? how do you un-bolt them during MECO? I thought it is a two step process happening in very rapid succession - you first remove whatever holds them together through pyrotechnics and then push/shove them away through other means
Three clamps on the edge, I think. There is a great video with footage from the first stage getting towed into Canaveral that goes through all the bits...

Scrubbed for today as well. They're still having family issues.
I’m picturing a group of siblings in SpaceX mission control arguing over who gets to sit next to Gywnne at launch... ;)

The phrase “out of family reading” is an odd one to my ears, though I think I understand it in this context: essentially “too far out of the acceptable range”, I assume. Is the phrase commonly used terminology in aerospace or rockets? I searched the web for it but can’t find a reference in this context, the words in the phrase are too common.

The phrase “out of family reading” is an odd one to my ears, though I think I understand it in this context: essentially “too far out of the acceptable range”, I assume. Is the phrase commonly used terminology in aerospace or rockets?

Its very common in A&D. Basically, when you have a lot of data points and especially when there's a fairly tight distribution trending along the data set, a rouge point that doesn't fit with the others is considered out of family (OOF) even if it is technically not out of spec (OOS). In that situation the next step is to investigate to see whether the data point and/or the spec itself are actually valid or not before you make a determination on how to resolve the anomaly, including use as is (UAI).

Intuitively you might think one would revise analytically derived test limits/specs as an empirical data set grows, but in many cases--no doubt like this one--its a much easier conversation with entities like range safety when you can say "we're still within spec so we're going to fly". It would be an absolute nightmare to try and [expediently] convince range safety that an OOS measurement--even if its the very same number as the OOF condition going on right now--is actually ok and that your real issue is the engineering behind those test specs...