Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 Mission Delivers Science Gear, Fresh Fruit to ISS - CRS-23 Launch Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
SpaceX successfully launched Sunday a Falcon 9 with a loaded Dragon cargo capsule to the International Space Station.

It had been two months since SpaceX had flown a Falcon 9. The mission was the 23rd to deliver supplies to ISS.

This delivery included 4,300 pounds of equipment, science gear, food and other supplies.

The rocket lifted off from pad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center around 3:14 a.m. ET. After deploying the Dragon capsule, the Falcon 9 had a successful return to earth with a landing on SpaceX’s new droneship, “A Shortfall of Gravitas.” The landing marked the 90th booster recovery for SpaceX.

The Dragon is expected to stay at ISS through September.

Continue reading...

Launch Date: August 28
Launch Window: 0737 GMT (3:37 a.m. EDT)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Booster Recovery: ASOG
Booster Type: B1061-4
Orbit: ISS in LEO
Mass: 9,525 kg (20,999 lb) for Dragon (C208)
Dragon Return - September 30

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Cargo Dragon 2 spacecraft on a cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station. The flight is the 23rd mission by SpaceX conducted under the Commercial Resupply Services contract with NASA. This is the third mission under the second Commercial Resupply Services contract.

Last edited:
Successful launch, MECO, separation, BBBurn, landing on ASOG, SECO, and Dragon separation.
Any idea why the ship landing instead of land? Looks like it was reasonably close to short at least, so the cycle time on that booster will be good (if desired), but I figure not as good as landing near the tower.

Oh - and a CRS mission and we haven't wrapped to page 2 of the thread. I guess these are achieving ho-hum status :D

Reactions: Grendal and ICUDoc
Any idea why the ship landing instead of land? Looks like it was reasonably close to short at least, so the cycle time on that booster will be good (if desired), but I figure not as good as landing near the tower.

Oh - and a CRS mission and we haven't wrapped to page 2 of the thread. I guess these are achieving ho-hum status :D
The new cargo dragons are heavier than the original cargo dragon so there isn't enough margin to do a full boost back burn. They do try to bring it as close to shore to reduce turn around time as you deduced.

The new cargo dragons are heavier than the original cargo dragon so there isn't enough margin to do a full boost back burn. They do try to bring it as close to shore to reduce turn around time as you deduced.
..yet this one did not have any Cargo in the trunk. Trunk was empty. So I am surprised this is still heavy enough not to come back to landing site?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: adiggs