Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Nilesat 301 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: June 8
Launch Window: 5:03pm EDT (2:03pm PDT, 21:03 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS - JRTI
Booster: B1062.7
Fairings: Reused
Mass: 4100 kg
Orbit: GTO
Yearly Launch Number: 23rd

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Nilesat 301 geostationary communications satellite. Nilesat 301, built by Thales Alenia Space, will provide digital broadband and internet connectivity services for the Egyptian operator Nilesat.

Apparently the idea of doing a direct injection to GEO and expending B1049.10 was scrapped.

Last edited:
It’s a pretty light spacecraft. Could be going to a higher energy transfer orbit? Maybe it’s a planned first stage retirement anyway.
I think it is both. The light payload is going for a direct injection into GEO from what I'm reading. I'm leaving the GTO on the first post until I get confirmation. If true, I'm sure they paid extra to get the direct injection and sacrificing a possibly reusable booster.

Would be interesting to know price to the customer—even with the pricing of falcon, The Rocket Equation is hard to beat. For all but extreme corner case missions (and I can’t think of any FYI) it’s still more cost effective to insert into GTO and have the satellite do the apogee burns.

What that really means is for pretty much any mission, additional insertion energy is a downstream opportunity (rather than a front end requirement) and thus needs an attractive price tag in order for the customer to elect. (As previously discussed I’m sure, for EP orbit raising missions, there’s also a revenue element to offset the additional launch cost since the extra boost can reduce months of EOR)

Given the very light satellite—and so, no “oh *sugar*” moments on the mass budget which can happen with sats that are pushing the mass limits—best guess is this tail was slated for retirement anyway. There’s a non-zero chance SX is practically giving this one away.

I think it is both. The light payload is going for a direct injection into GEO from what I'm reading. I'm leaving the GTO on the first post until I get confirmation. If true, I'm sure they paid extra to get the direct injection and sacrificing a possibly reusable booster.
New information has arrived.
So this will end up being a traditional GTO launch using one of the remaining regular boosters in the stable: B1062.

The fate of B1049 remains to be seen or discovered.

Weather is good.
1654485476215.png

• Informative
Reactions: 808?
Moderator personal note:
I am on vacation for a couple weeks. I think I have all the potential launches lined up. The data will be off if anything changes or there is a delay.
Upcoming are:
June 8: Nilesat 301 - this one
June 10: CRS-25
June 15: Starlink 4-19
June 18: SARah 1 (West Coast RTLS)
Who gave you permission to go on vacation?