Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - NROL-85 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: April 17
Launch Window: 6:13am PDT (9:13am EDT, 13:13 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base
Core Booster Recovery: RTLS
Booster: B1071-2
Fairings: Reused - TBD
Mass: None of your business - It's a secret!
Orbit: LEO

Classified mission awarded to SpaceX in February 2019. A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a classified payload for the National Reconnaissance Office, the U.S. government’s spy satellite agency. The mission is designated NROL-85. The first stage will return to Landing Zone 4 at Vandenberg.

This will be SpaceX's 14th orbital launch of the year.

First reused booster for an NROL launch.

Last edited:
1649995064499.png

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyEnglish
Are there transmitters and sensors on the ground on the landing zone that sends signals to the rocket and directs & guides it so precisely ?

I don't think there is, but if I were to design a landing system my first intuition would be to design one like that, not too dissimilar from automated guided landing systems for airplanes in major airports. But of course the technology used by SpaceX even removed that 'crutch' and lands completely on its own using GPS I guess.

Of course guidance is one thing, but the precise firing of rockets with the right amount of power and cut-off at the correct moment (with a precision to less than half a second maybe?) is equally key for a safe soft landing.

This is not Science. This is Magic.

Reactions: Grendal
It’s physics (“magic” is just another form of delusion). The fact that SpaceX can land boosters so reliably and precisely is because some humans have learned that science, properly done, is a powerful tool for understanding the universe, and the knowledge gained can be employed to accomplish useful objectives.

It is my understanding that the booster’s onboard avionics and guidance system controls the cold gas thrusters, grid fins, and engines to guide it to the landing site‘s GPS coordinates. But I don’t work for SpaceX so I could be wrong…