Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Sentinel 6-Michael Freilich - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck! After the "scrubtober" Florida trip debacle, I had the thought to make the pilgrimage to the West Coast for this launch but too busy with work to pull off such a spontaneous trip. :)
Am sad to say that we had to cancel this trip (because COVID and public guidance). Argh! And a return to a landing site! Ugh.
Had this been later in the day I might have done the crazy same day back-and-forth...

Enjoy the launch! Hope Karl stays away!

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
Man, so jealous of all the folks that experienced this in-person!
Even Jessie was speechless (her first in-person launch).

The on-board view totally showed the booster aiming for the ocean and then the translation maneuver to go for the landing pad at the last minute. Had not seen it that clearly before.

Spacecraft separation. "There goes Sentinel-6! That is a beautiful sight."
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1330213940341727233

Sentinel6.jpg

It was an awesome experience seeing the launch today. I parked on Bailey Ave at (34.6577681, -120.4841346) as Ocean Ave was closed at Floradale. So my viewing location today was about 3 miles farther away than my preferred spot at Ocean Ave/Renwick Ave. But it worked out well. Bailey Ave was completely packed with vehicles; at 15 minute before T-0 I’m sure there was absolutely no space left whatsoever.

From that location the vehicle’s trajectory appeared to be partially from right to left. I was just barely able to make out stage sep with the naked eye. My wife tracked it from launch to stage sep and all the way back using low power binoculars and said it was mesmerizing. I could easily see the entry burn and then the landing burn. The sonic booms were incredible!

Looking forward to going to the next Vandy launches in January and February assuming the weather forecast shows clear skies.

Even Jessie was speechless (her first in-person launch).
I just finished watching the webcast. Actually she said it was her second in-person launch but the first one was fogged in and she saw absolutely nothing.

It was fun to see her so excited.

Seems to be a bit if a cluster at the viewing sites with police roadblocks and people getting kicked off of private properties.

I got a spot right at Floradale Ave at about 1AM and the whole road was empty, come 6AM and it was already getting packed with cops turning people around at that interesection...pretty crazy. Also my first launch in person and was absolutely nuts to feel and hear (seeing was cool too i guess).

I work at SpaceX and can tell ya the reason for extra roadblocks was that there was a strong southwest wind which (combined with vehicle trajectory) drove a larger keep-out zone to ensure public safety in the event of flight termination/vehicle break up which could rain debris back over land.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
I got a spot right at Floradale Ave at about 1AM and the whole road was empty, come 6AM and it was already getting packed with cops turning people around at that interesection...pretty crazy. Also my first launch in person and was absolutely nuts to feel and hear (seeing was cool too i guess).

I work at SpaceX and can tell ya the reason for extra roadblocks was that there was a strong southwest wind which (combined with vehicle trajectory) drove a larger keep-out zone to ensure public safety in the event of flight termination/vehicle break up which could rain debris back over land.
I assume they would kick out anyone who is west of Floradale prior to the 430 barricade?

Very interesting! Thanks for posting that.
What happened to the fairings ?
As far as I know the boats designed to catch fairings are currently in Florida. SpaceX may have tried to fish the fairings out of the water, haven’t heard anything about that yet.