Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Stalink Group 2-9 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch Date: May 8
Launch Window: 12:54pm PDT (3:54pm EDT, 19:54 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS - OCISLY
Booster: B1075.3
Fairings: Reused
Mass: 52 Starlink satellites
Orbit: LEO
Yearly Launch Number: 31

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 73rd group of satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 2-9. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will land on a drone ship in the Pacific Ocean. This batch is the ninth launch of Starlink satellites headed for the 2nd shell of Starlink's first generation constellation. This shell is planned to be comprised of 36 orbital planes with 20 satellites per plane for a total of 720 satellites. The satellites in this shell will be located at a roughly 570km circular orbit and at a 70º orbital inclination. For this mission, Falcon 9 will likely carry 50-52 satellites into a 310x320km 70º orbit. From here the satellites will then raise their orbits to operational altitude.

4691360756_eb649ba81b_m.jpg

Last edited:
The SpaceX narrator called this the 30th launch of the year. So they seem to be ignoring the Starship launch for their count.

As far as I am concerned, it was a launch. So I'll continue to add one unless the community thinks otherwise.
Starship/Booster were engineering prototypes, nowhere near the payload version. It's kinda like calling the grasshopper flights launches. I agree with SpaceX.

Starship/Booster were engineering prototypes, nowhere near the payload version. It's kinda like calling the grasshopper flights launches.
Just like the multiple Starship 10km “hop” flights weren’t included in the SpaceX launch count.

Now when the first Starship flight reaches orbit, even though it will also be a prototype vehicle, will that count as a “launch”? I would say “yes”. But reasonable minds can differ. :)

Reactions: Grendal