Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 0.9 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, has anyone launched a rocket with high altitude winds? Like 50 years ago? I wonder where the parameters for the restriction come from.

I think the number is slightly different for each rocket. F9 is highly susceptible to wind sheer because it is so tall and thin. Super Heavy and Starship will be much less so. I think. NASA probably determines the numbers based on safety since they were SpaceX's first major customer.

90% favorable for tonight.
60243582_10100506929681254_6533578557904388096_n.jpg

Reactions: Mike1080i and mongo
Hmm...

1- Can’t they update said software remotely on-orbit? I assume said software update is critical to deployment operation itself, so ‘no’.
2- QA much? It is nice that being their own customer, they have the flexibility to punt by a week, but one would think that once you are on the pad, all software QA possible would be done already.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Once more, SpaceX lets me get back from a one week vacation so I can see the launch. But now, I have to wait another week? Am running out of vacation budget here!

• Funny
Reactions: Nikxice
1- Can’t they update said software remotely on-orbit? I assume said software update is critical to deployment operation itself, so ‘no’.

Yes people often upload FSW patches on orbit; traditionally pushing up an entire new image is a bit like rolling the dice (who knows what SpaceX's approach is to this). The downside is that the data rate is WAY slower when you're on orbit, and generally more prone to bit errors.

2- QA much? It is nice that being their own customer, they have the flexibility to punt by a week, but one would think that once you are on the pad, all software QA possible would be done already.

This is the most bizarre thing to most in the industry. What could possibly have happened that made them stack the whole thing, be ready for launch, and then stand down during the second launch attempt? There's literally nothing going on with the satellites at this point other than topping off the batteries, so that's the only thing that could possibly have thrown a flag form this payload. Its conceivable there was a race between a new FSW revision and getting this launch off, but you'd think SpaceX would have been able to track progress on both and reconcile the schedules if they were this close. Its hard to imagine there was some ah-ha moment that all the sudden changed the FSW...

On the production side, there's nothing short of uncovering a major design flaw back at the ranch that would have caused this kind of hold. And finding such a thing at this point would be seriously worrying.

One thing is absolutely certain: The "triple check everything" line was just a line. They're doing something specific; they're checking something specific.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: e-FTW