Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 0.9 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The irony is not missed. This is a product to enable cheaper and faster communications between 2 end points in the globe, but the product itself cannot load its internal software at a decent rate?

It will be interesting if we actually learn space's architecture. IIRC, they had previously specified separate payload and T&C frequencies (happy for a fact check on my memory....); in those situations typically the T&C is significantly slower than the payload data rate because it doesn't need to be fast, and its typically at a frequency far enough away from the payload that there's no chance of any kind of interference.

If SpaceX is using their payload as their T&C they would have to identify, separate, and route the signal internally within the bus instead of on to the next payload gizmo (the downlink antenna array or the ISLs). Certainly plausible, especially given the volume they're talking about. The big risk, of course, is that if your payload goes down you lose all commanding. Maybe ok given the volume, but there's definitely zero chance of interactive troubleshooting at that point.

Either way, nothing beats a hard line between the engineer's computer and the satellites. So its understandable that they want to update FSW while on the ground. For me, the most curious thing is that they need to update the FSW [at this point in the game, for the 60 sats that are locked and loaded].

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
It will be interesting if we actually learn space's architecture. IIRC, they had previously specified separate payload and T&C frequencies (happy for a fact check on my memory....); in those situations typically the T&C is significantly slower than the payload data rate because it doesn't need to be fast, and its typically at a frequency far enough away from the payload that there's no chance of any kind of interference.

If SpaceX is using their payload as their T&C they would have to identify, separate, and route the signal internally within the bus instead of on to the next payload gizmo (the downlink antenna array or the ISLs). Certainly plausible, especially given the volume they're talking about. The big risk, of course, is that if your payload goes down you lose all commanding. Maybe ok given the volume, but there's definitely zero chance of interactive troubleshooting at that point.

Either way, nothing beats a hard line between the engineer's computer and the satellites. So its understandable that they want to update FSW while on the ground. For me, the most curious thing is that they need to update the FSW [at this point in the game, for the 60 sats that are locked and loaded].
This makes me think of a dead man's switch: if you upload something that locks you out, and by a certain time you've not accessed it to disable the dead man's switch, it automatically reverts to known good state.

This makes me think of a dead man's switch: if you upload something that locks you out, and by a certain time you've not accessed it to disable the dead man's switch, it automatically reverts to known good state.

Yes, there's definitely checks and balances to make sure the upload is uncorrupted (at the most basic level, its just a file exchange), and there's definitely checks and balances to make sure the new version is uncorrupted before dumping the old version (at the most basic level, its just like updating software on your devices).

Last edited:
Never expected the sats to all fall off at once! So I guess they reach 550kms and a spread out constellation over, what, days? Weeks??
Yeah not exactly what I was expecting either. Definitely initiated the spin on an entire different axis than I thought. Even though it was anti climactic it still blows me away how SpaceX innovates. Cool time to be alive.

Reactions: ICUDoc
When these 60 satellites finally reach steady state, are these all expected to follow the same path (same inclination)? what would be the separation between them?
Yes, all in the same inclination (53 degrees), but maybe not in the same plane. Like Iridium, they could take advantage of precession to shift to multiple offset planes before finishing their maneuver to their final altitude and spacing.
However, this doc https://fcc.report/IBFS/SAT-MOD-20181108-00083/1569860.pdf
Calls out 66 sats each in 24 planes, so all 60 may stay in this planes and only the 6 additional/ spares will precess. 15 degree planes separation (at equator), 6ish degrees sat separation in plane.

Re: these new satellites
Can we see them?
Can we know where they are?
When (if ever) will we be able to use them? Are these commercial or test -only?

Doubt it
Yes, satellite tracking sites will likely update with the constellation data
These are real, end user sats. This launch lacks sat to sat comm links (laser or RF), so will function as ground to ground relays. Likely internal testing for now followed by a few main commercial customers, then general consumption.

Calls out 66 sats each in 24 planes, so all 60 may stay in this planes and only the 6 additional/ spares will precess. 15 degree planes separation (at equator), 6ish degrees sat separation in plane.

i am trying to grasp what that means. But again how many miles far away each one will be to the adjacent one in the same plane?

Oh wow, no sat to sat links. Didn’t know that. SpaceX is really developing this network in real time aren’t they? I suspect they are finding or are going to find that station keeping for laser links is going to be tricky, not to mention Sun interference, etc.

Never expected the sats to all fall off at once! So I guess they reach 550kms and a spread out constellation over, what, days? Weeks??

"All 60 Starlink satellites online, solar array deployment coming up soon" from twitter
"Krypton ion thrusters activate in about 3 hours to raise orbit" and was posted about 30 minutes after deployment" from twitter

So now they should be raising their orbits, dunno how many hours or days it'll take them to get into position but they are already sending and receiving data at this point. Nothing stopping them from being usable as they adjust their orbit.

Said another way the sats come online and become a usable part of the network before they get into their assigned positions. So every time they launch another batch they add to the network rather quickly

Reactions: Grendal