Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 1 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very curious about this project and hoping it will improve my slow wifi. Is there any information on when and where it will be available?

No, not yet. Elon has stated that they want service by mid next year (2020), and given that they only need six launches (this is the official first launch, the other 60 satellites were testing various things), they might make that date. I'd give it until end of 2020 though.

I think I remember that they said initial service area would be southern US, so we would be covered (I see you're in Encinitas, CA).

No word on pricing. My personal guess is $120/month with some sort of overall monthly datacap and/or extended pricing for more usage.

BTW, this hasn't been announced yet, and still needs to go through city council approval, but there is a company gearing up to bring gigabit fiber to all of Encinitas. Initial service to be end of 2020, early 2021. It will almost certainly be cheaper than Starlink with no data caps.

Yet another flawless mission. Picture perfect landing recovery of the 4 times flown stage 1. Looks good for a fifth relight! As I was watching, I was thinking, "Gosh, this flight is costing SpaceX maybe $200K in fuel and whatever a stage 2 costs, maybe $5M total.". And that, boys and girls, and how you do something that no other company or government in the world can do.

Nice fairing release and they nailed Stage 1 landing on the drone.

Beautiful day for a launch too. A few screen grabs:

11702F87-B281-4D64-B22D-046F3097F2A4.png

85CCFF4E-C35C-4B1C-8706-71D7EDC97A55.png

F135AB12-BB6A-4CAE-BCB5-C1840CB155B9.png

Reactions: SmartElectric
Apart from some cloud cover that was a picture perfect launch for photos. I was hoping Stage 1 would make it through the clouds and we’d get a clear view of the drone landing and we did. The way the sun’s lighting was this morning was perfect for the fairing separation too. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it so clearly visible before.

SpaceX just continues to keep improving their approach and landing skills. That ASDS landing looked as solid as any I've seen in the past, even on land. This one was apparently accomplished in some rough seas, responsible for nixing any attempt at a fairing catch.

I loved that after landing shot inside Stage 1 with the gases still visible.

Coverage should start up any minute now.

Back on now, SES-2 quick burn done. Good orbit achieved. Back in about 15 (less due to post time of this) for satellite deployment.

D9181C1B-FC4E-4A00-8273-8EBAB038B41E.png