Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 1 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deployed. Interesting commentary on how it is all done in one batch.

752CA26E-3E67-4579-9955-ECC65C8E75F9.png

EC6B30E3-787A-4B18-A75F-AF6EA6C83D62.png

8B379123-61FA-4293-82ED-FB1D802D2AE6.png

2C33D907-92D0-4D8C-8DF1-A542B7AE4EA3.png

Stellar day! Glad I got to see it live. Too bad about the recovery of the fairings. I know they were hoping to use the new set up.

Well at least we got to see the sat deploy for a few seconds, but then they drifted out of frame. On the previous Starlink mission I recall the sats stayed in the frame longer and you could see them begin to separate from each other.

So far it looks like a perfect mission. Disappointing that the fairings could not be recovered due to rough sea conditions.

Reactions: Grendal
I'm pretty sure that SpaceX is still planning to recover the two fairing halves from the Atlantic. It was the attempt to "net catch" by Ms. Tree and Ms. Chief that they abandoned due to reported rough seas. Maybe we'll learn more before the day is over.

Is it wrong for me to have thought to myself, as this most flight-proven Falcon 9 ever (3 flights and one tenth of a 4th at that point) was going up through the clouds: “Please don’t blow up in the clouds! We need video if it goes south...”
Well at least you're being honest. I'm sure at some point everyone has experienced similar negative thoughts, especially with the early F9 landing attempts. Maybe you're just thinking ahead to next month's spectacular IFA? We're all hoping for CAVU conditions for that one.

I think with each reuse of any booster SpaceX further proves their reliability, which breeds confidence for the next launch. Next stop for booster B1048.4....one for the thumb!

Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
The thing that went into my list of amazing capabilities, after listening to some of the Everyday Astronaut and other stuff about how rocket engines actually work, is that SpaceX can turn their engine on and back off in 1 second (give or take). Maybe it's my own ignorance and in fact engines that turn off and on in a second are more the norm than not; but that struck me as being impressive.

Is it wrong for me to have thought to myself, as this most flight-proven Falcon 9 ever (3 flights and one tenth of a 4th at that point) was going up through the clouds: “Please don’t blow up in the clouds! We need video if it goes south...”

I watched the CRS-7 launch live. It took my breath away when it slowly RUDed. So I have fears every time I watch a launch. I'm usually exercising in some way to keep my stress under control. I was doing jumping jacks during the entire ascent of the first Falcon Heavy and yelling "go-baby-go!" My stress is a lot lower on standard F9 launches these days though. SpaceX has lulled me into complacency on any normal launch. I was a little more stressed on this one since there were so many important factors involved with this particular one.

Back to the launch. It was a long wait to get to this one but it was worth it.

The thing that went into my list of amazing capabilities, after listening to some of the Everyday Astronaut and other stuff about how rocket engines actually work, is that SpaceX can turn their engine on and back off in 1 second (give or take). Maybe it's my own ignorance and in fact engines that turn off and on in a second are more the norm than not; but that struck me as being impressive.
No, it is genuinely impressive. It’s not as easy as SpaceX makes it appear.

I watched the CRS-7 launch live. It took my breath away when it slowly RUDed. So I have fears every time I watch a launch. I'm usually exercising in some way to keep my stress under control. I was doing jumping jacks during the entire ascent of the first Falcon Heavy and yelling "go-baby-go!" My stress is a lot lower on standard F9 launches these days though. SpaceX has lulled me into complacency on any normal launch. I was a little more stressed on this one since there were so many important factors involved with this particular one.
I experience the same stress during every launch, but my stress level is decreasing compared to a few years ago.

During the first FH launch I was jumping up and down in my living room yelling and laughing and crying and..really I was going nuts. But in a good way. :p

I believe that brief shot was from a camera inside the LOX tank. Pretty cool, we’ve seen that view before on several F9 missions.
It was really cool.
I've never noticed a shot like that before- it looked amazing and bizarre, like Alien tech. I thought the camera was broken or I was getting a migraine...
PS and they REALLY stuck the landing- cool that the drone ship cameras work the whole way through, nowadays. Way to go , SpaceX. Now:
1. I'd like to invest, plz.
2. Would like Spacelink internet. Here in Australia, the Government signed the country up to a hopeless, slowly-rolled-out and inferior and expensive broadband service called NBN. I want to tell them to stick their jobs-for-the-boys profiteering venture up their jumpers and Google via Elon:
?SpaceXNet ?MuskWeb. Ahh: StarLink. That'll do, Pig, that'll do.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal and ggr