Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 2 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: January 6 (GMT is 7th)
Launch Window: 9:20 p.m. EST
Launch site: SLC-40
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS
Booster: B1049.4
Fairings: Maybe reused
Mass: 60 satellites at 227 kg each - 15,600 kg (34,500 lbs)
Orbit: LEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is expected to launch the third batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 2.

This is the second official Starlink launch. There were two test Starlink launches previously. This launch will likely feature darkened satellites to avoid interference with ground based astronomy.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
I'm impressed that the thread start for this launch, to projected launch date, is 2 weeks. That seems like an awfully short window from "we're going to do this" to "it's happening".

I like it :)

And I'm looking forward to northern US service being available - I can foresee a circumstance in which I become an early adopter of the service - rural Internet service, at least here in Oregon, is .. bad. I assume that's mostly true, most everywhere, but I know it's been an impediment to moving out of town for me.

Reactions: e-FTW
It looks like SpaceX will be going old school and doing the static fire with the payload attached again. Static fire is expected to happen on January 2nd with the launch on the 3rd. The weather isn't good for the 3rd at only 40% go. The delay day is very good at 90%.
81579798_3278116712204446_9182618612601454592_o.jpg

It looks like SpaceX will be going old school and doing the static fire with the payload attached again. Static fire is expected to happen on January 2nd with the launch on the 3rd. The weather isn't good for the 3rd at only 40% go. The delay day is very good at 90%.
81579798_3278116712204446_9182618612601454592_o.jpg
Makes sense: just another thing they do with their own payloads that they would not do with others’ payloads.

Reactions: Grendal
They were slated for 39A and 40. Be interesting to see if they decide to do a quick turn around. I don't remember there being such a short span between concurrent SPCX launches at Canaveral.

SpaceX has two teams at the Cape. So the timing should still work out. There will not be a recovery for the IFA booster so no conflicts there.

Only Ms. Tree will be attempting a fairing catch tonight. The other half will be retrieved by the Crew Dragon backup recovery vessel, GO Navigator. Read somewhere recently that in December Ms. Chief suffered damage to both booms that support one the four arms.