Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 3 - LC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: January 29 Wednesday
Launch Window: 09:06 am EST, 06:06 PST, 1406 UTC
Launch site: SLC-40
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS
Booster: B1051.3
Fairings: Maybe reused
Mass: 60 satellites at 227 kg each - 15,600 kg (34,500 lbs)
Orbit: LEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is expected to launch the fourth batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 3.

Last edited:
Shame as the test fire was done successfully today... Weather is not cooperating right now.

SpaceX test-fires rocket for next Starlink mission; launch date under review – Spaceflight Now
Spaceflightnow said:
Just one day after a mission from a nearby launch pad, SpaceX test-fired a Falcon 9 rocket Monday at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station ahead of the company’s next flight. Faced with extreme weather this week in the ocean recovery zone for the Falcon 9’s first stage booster and payload shroud, SpaceX said it was evaluating the best opportunity to launch the Falcon 9 with 60 Starlink broadband satellites.

SpaceX is not expected to attempt to launch the mission Tuesday as previously scheduled.

3CC6155F-CA55-42C1-ACA8-79228A7E37C0.jpeg

Btw, this states the satellites are 260kg each and not 227kg.

Intersting. Two things come to mind as possibilities. Both also have logic to the contrary so this is really just blind speculation.

1. More propellant. Upside is more maneuvers and potentially faster orbit raising/deorbiting.

2. OISLs. They’re pretty heavy. I’ve previously speculated that the dishes on the last launch are RFISLs but we know the long term is laser, so...

Scrubbed today due to strong upper level winds. Now scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday 1/28 at 9:28 a.m. EST 14:28 UTC. One of those dates that will live in infamy. T'was also a Tuesday as I recall. I would say though there's a lot more reliability built into a F9.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
I was up early and tried to go to SpaceX for the launch, but nothing and no info. By clicking on Grendal’s livestream link above found out it was postponed to tomorrow 28th. Another Early morning for west coast people. Thanks Grendal!

24 starlink missions planned for 2020!!!!

I think it's just based on something Gwynne Shotwell said in last October (2019).

SpaceX plans to start offering Starlink broadband services in 2020 - SpaceNews.com

Gwynne Shotwell said:
“We need 24 launches to get global coverage,” she said. “Every launch after that gives you more capacity.”

“We’ll continue to upgrade the network until mid to late next year,” said Shotwell. “We’re hoping for 24 launches by the end of next year.”

The price point is also being studied. Shotwell said millions of people in the U.S. pay $80 per month to get “crappy service.” She didn’t say whether Starlink will cost more or less than $80 per month but suggested that would be a segment of the public the company would target as well as rural areas that currently have no connectivity.

The last bit added just out of interest.