Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 4 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interesting Starlink-4 satellite train viewing opportunity at 5:37AM today. First saw two sats, widely separated. Then a few more, than a pair very close together but slightly off the track of all the single sightings, then saw three very close together, then a pair, then three more, and then clouds obscured my view. My neighbor and his daughter were outside with my wife and I. Pretty fun!

We got the answer on what happened with the booster for this launch. Hans, during the pre-launch NASA conference, was asked what happened. He said the booster had some unforeseen high winds which were out of preset parameters hitting the ASDS that caused the booster to think the landing would be dangerous. So the booster did not perform the transition maneuver onto the ASDS trajectory and instead landed in the water to protect OCISLY.

And here is Elon's tweet:
str_4t.jpg

"Recent missed landing (at sea) was due to incorrect wind data. If this (land) landing fails, it will most likely be for a different reason."
Elon Musk on Twitter

Hans, during the pre-launch NASA conference, was asked what happened. He said the booster had some unforeseen high winds which were out of preset parameters hitting the ASDS that caused the booster to think the landing would be dangerous. So the booster did not perform the transition maneuver onto the ASDS trajectory and instead landed in the water to protect OCISLY.
Thanks for posting that. I’ve been wondering if SpaceX would make a public statement about that missed booster landing.

But then Elon tweeted that the issue was “incorrect wind data”. Is that the same as “unforeseen”, as in “the weather forecast was wrong and the winds at the landing site were significantly higher than forecast”? I think they are both saying the same thing, but I’m not certain.

In any case, it was great to see the CRS mission booster land successfully at LZ-1!

Thank you for that information. I suspected the Abort to Water on that flight was a protective measure due to something being out of the normal parameters required to allow the booster to attempt an OCISLY landing.

Appreciate you letting us know.

Cheers! Hugh-SG

I've seen reported that the booster is said to have been scuttled. Has that been confirmed?

I saw Musk's tweet explaining why it didn't land as planned but I don't think he's said anything about the fate of the booster.

I've seen reported that the booster is said to have been scuttled. Has that been confirmed?

I saw Musk's tweet explaining why it didn't land as planned but I don't think he's said anything about the fate of the booster.

Nothing official that I'm aware of. I expect someone saw the supportive tugs come back to port at a pace that indicated they weren't towing a booster. That would be a strong indication they scuttled the booster. Pulling the super expensive grid fins just make sense from a monetary perspective. Which is why I'm assuming they did that at least.

• Informative
Reactions: Patrick W