Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 4 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you were watching ecarfan o_O.

Here’s a shot of one of the fairing halves falling back to Earth. Not sure what the other circled is of. Occurred some minutes after.

7516310E-4C6E-4725-8AF1-AC92352F1A7F.jpeg

A75AC61E-6EF7-4D72-A1D8-33CBF15293E5.jpeg

Wait a minute...I watched the livestream and saw the booster land on target. What are you guys talking about? The webcast host stated the booster landing was successful.

Am I in the wrong thread? Can’t be based on the date/time of your posts.

After the booster anding the host said the sat deploy would be at about 45 minutes post launch. I stepped away for about 15 minutes to do other stuff, now watching the webcast showing the usual animation. It’s T+35 minutes. But the SpaceXNow app states the sats were deployed already.

I would guess that either:

1) You're actually watching a replay of an old Starlink mission.

2) You're posting from an alternate reality. Maybe the universe where Spock has a beard?

:D

Bruce.

So I was watching the webcast in a browser on my iPhone. I now realize that I was streaming the webcast from the previous Starlink mission! I thought I had reloaded the browser window but apparently I did not.

I went to my iPad and opened a new window and went back in the webcast to watch the landing and now understand what happened today. Very surprising to see the booster miss OCISLY by around 50 meters or so.

I should have been tipped off to my mistake when I noticed Spock sporting a goatee... ;)

Edit: this story just gets more hilarious. I watched with my spouse. I just reminded her that during the webcast (the one we were watching) when the video signal was lost during booster descent just after the re-entry burn I said to her “The same thing happened on the last Starlink mission, I wish SpaceX would improve the reliability of the booster video feed”. She just told me that at the start of the webcast she noticed the host had her hair done the same way as last time and appeared to be wearing the same outfit. But neither of us put two and two together to realize we were watching the last mission!

Last edited:
Wait a minute...I watched the livestream and saw the booster land on target. What are you guys talking about? The webcast host stated the booster landing was successful.

After the booster anding the host said the sat deploy would be at about 45 minutes post launch. I stepped away for about 15 minutes to do other stuff, now watching the webcast showing the usual animation. It’s T+35 minutes. But the SpaceXNow app states the sats were deployed already.

Maybe you watched the wrong stream? Booster def did not land on drone ship.

Reactions: Grendal

sounds like you were watching an older launch replay. Maybe old link? This launch was a quick one at 7:04am PT. I loaded the SpaceX site directly this morning.

note: just read your later post above and loved your wife’s comments! :p:p:p You guys made my day :D

I might be mistaken but during stage separation the first stage seemed to be exposed to more of the second stage back blast than usual. This might have caused problems with the plumbing for the grid fins.

I wonder if they have implemented the auxilary backup pump system for the grid fins yet.

I might be mistaken but during stage separation the first stage seemed to be exposed to more of the second stage back blast than usual. This might have caused problems with the plumbing for the grid fins.
It looked the usual distance away to me. I think that separation is farther than it might appear due to a lack of reference points and the extreme wide angle view.

I just finished watching the correct webcast :p of today’s launch. Yes, Lauren was wearing different clothes and had her hair done differently than the previous Starlink launch webcast.

I am very curious to learn why the booster missed OCISLY by such a large distance. I hope SpaceX releases the results of their investigation, and I hope today’s problem does not postpone the next F9 launches, but I suspect it will.

If I recall with any accuracy, the booster aims beside the landing objective until very late in the decent; and adjusts to the target after everything checks out. My guess is something wasn't perfect so it self-aborted.
I hope we find out what really happened.

I know they do that for a land landing, but do we know for sure they do that for an ocean landing?

If I recall with any accuracy, the booster aims beside the landing objective until very late in the decent; and adjusts to the target after everything checks out. My guess is something wasn't perfect so it self-aborted.
I hope we find out what really happened.
Yup. They aim for the ocean, and then if all is well the booster does a translation maneuver to hit the bullseye.