Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 5 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Launch Date: March 18
Launch Window: 8:21 EDT, 5:21 PDT, 1221 UTC
Launch site: SLC-39A
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS
Booster: B1048.5
Fairings: Reused
Mass: 60 satellites at 260 kg each - 15,600 kg (34,500 lbs)
Orbit: LEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is expected to launch the sixth batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 5.

Assumption is this will also be a quick one with their new fast to deployment burn profile.

The second stage originally intended for this launch was given to the CRS-20 launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ElectricCorn
I will be out of town this weekend and might not be able to post the livestream for this one. It seems it will be the first 5th launch.
Indeed! Looking forward to that milestone!
(I will try and post the stream on Friday night which is when I assume it shows up)
E61E6420-800A-44AE-8331-F057378E02BE.jpeg

Reactions: Grendal and Dr. J
I like how these Starlink launches are going from announcement to launch seemingly overnight. They really are (seemingly) continuously prepping another Starlink, getting a launch window, and sending 'em up awfully fast.

I like it :)

Starlink is truly going to fund Elon and SpaceX's missions to get to Mars. The Starship plans to haul people and stuff around the globe to do it was going to be 1000 times more difficult to pull off successfully. I still expect that to happen too but much further in the future when Starships are being built routinely and SpaceX has vast amounts of cash to throw money at the infrastructure needed for it. Starlink is what SpaceX needs to generate lots of money but it needs to happen quickly before some other entity tries to get there before SpaceX. Falcon 9 is good enough to get the job done in its early stages. Starlink should be up and running and making some money by the end of this year. From there it should self fund its way into the larger constellation that will generate serious cash for building the vast fleet of Starships that Elon wants and needs.

I will be out of town this weekend and might not be able to post the livestream for this one. It seems it will be the first 5th launch.

My out of town plans were cut short because of the virus. So I get to enjoy the launch with the rest of you.

Starlink is truly going to fund Elon and SpaceX's missions to get to Mars. The Starship plans to haul people and stuff around the globe to do it was going to be 1000 times more difficult to pull off successfully. I still expect that to happen too but much further in the future when Starships are being built routinely and SpaceX has vast amounts of cash to throw money at the infrastructure needed for it. Starlink is what SpaceX needs to generate lots of money but it needs to happen quickly before some other entity tries to get there before SpaceX. Falcon 9 is good enough to get the job done in its early stages. Starlink should be up and running and making some money by the end of this year. From there it should self fund its way into the larger constellation that will generate serious cash for building the vast fleet of Starships that Elon wants and needs.

My out of town plans were cut short because of the virus. So I get to enjoy the launch with the rest of you.
You and me both brother! Lots of stuff getting canceled.
Am a touch concerned about Elon’s response to this situation though. The world has seen what this virus can do.

Starlink is what SpaceX needs to generate lots of money but it needs to happen quickly before some other entity tries to get there before SpaceX. Falcon 9 is good enough to get the job done in its early stages. Starlink should be up and running and making some money by the end of this year. From there it should self fund its way into the larger constellation that will generate serious cash for building the vast fleet of Starships that Elon wants and needs
I hope this isn't OT. At the astronomy conference, Elon shot down the idea of a Starlink IPO, contrary to what Gwynne Shotwell floated (possibly in response to a specific question?). Which makes it all the more likely Starlink is primarily a SpaceX funding mechanism.
As SpaceX Reaches $36 Billion Valuation, Elon Musk Clarifies Starlink IPO Rumors