Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 6 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replaying the launch on YouTube, at around 19:34 into the recording, T: +00:04:31 to T: +00:04:45, on the left side, something shaped like a half circle is visible falling and tumbling away below the first stage, leaving the frame in the upper left corner. I wonder if that is normal.
HalfCircle.jpg

Reactions: Grendal
Replaying the launch on YouTube, at around 19:34 into the recording, T: +00:04:31 to T: +00:04:45, on the left side, something shaped like a half circle is visible falling and tumbling away below the first stage, leaving the frame in the upper left corner. I wonder if that is normal.View attachment 534823

Totally normal. It's frozen stuff that falls off with all the motion. There are lots of release valves and other places where ice will build up before, during, and after the launch happens. It is very obvious on the second stage after it has shut down. You can see ice building up around some valves after SECO. The buildup usually breaks off as the engine fires for an adjustment burn. Almost all of the launch threads have a discussion about some piece seen zipping by or floating off. That's how common it is.

The more interesting thing I see in the picture is that it looks like one of the metal bits on the grid fin seem broken off or bent. It's probably a lighting thing though.

Reactions: Mike1080i and e-FTW
While it might be the seventh batch, indications are that the first batch were experimental only and won’t be part of the operational constellation. And besides, this is the numbering SpaceX is giving. So maybe just stick “operational” in there if an edit is made.
Yes, to avoid confusion the Wiki page for Starlink has recently started to use the phrase "operational batch" for each launch.
Added "operational" per suggestions. I hope we hear from someone explaining what the difference will be. Will any of the first sixty be used for the constellation or are they all be experimental? Or will they be used in some minor capacity? Details. We need details. They are up there so hopefully they're doing something.
Okay, I give up. We thought that Starlink 6 was going to be in sync with 360 "operational" satellites. A wise guy on Twitter has thrown a monkey wrench into that idea, taking quite a liking to those initial 60 "experimental" sats. :confused:

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

6:15 PM · Apr 22, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
There are now 420 operational Starlink satellites

Ah yes. Thank you. SpaceX had B1048 have a successful fifth launch but was lost in recovery. There are two active boosters that can make a fifth launch with the elusive recovery: B1049, and this one B1051. B1049 is up first with the Starlink 7 launch.
Definitely agree that Starlink payloads are the only ones that will fly on the more umm... mature boosters. If they get to 5 and up, it is on Starlink missions.

Reactions: Grendal