Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink Group 3-2 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: July 21
Launch Window: 10:13am PDT (1:13pm EDT, 17:13 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, CA
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS - OCISLY
Booster: B1071.4
Fairings: Reused - 3rd and 5th time
Mass: 46 satellites - 12.9 tonnes
Orbit: SSO
Yearly Launch Number: 32nd

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 50th group of satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 3-2.

This batch is headed for the 3rd shell of Starlink's first generation constellation. This will be the second time SpaceX launches to this shell which is planned to be comprised of 6 orbital planes with 58 satellites in each plane for a total of 348 satellites. The satellites in this shell will be located at a roughly 560km circular orbit and at a 97.6º orbital inclination.

Last edited:
Hold at T-46sec- 24 hour Recycle for tomorrow same bat time same bat channel

A rarity for SpaceX these days....
The Launch Director called a "Go For Launch" at the same moment the count came to a halt. So that means the Rocket itself spotted something off which triggered the halt. It's likely something extremely minor but enough to cause a scrub.

The Launch Director called a "Go For Launch" at the same moment the count came to a halt. So that means the Rocket itself spotted something off which triggered the halt. It's likely something extremely minor but enough to cause a scrub.
When was the last time an F9 launch was scrubbed, not due to weather, but by the onboard computer when in terminal count? I can’t recall it’s been so long.

Reactions: Grendal
When was the last time an F9 launch was scrubbed, not due to weather, but by the onboard computer when in terminal count? I can’t recall it’s been so long.
April 30, 2017 over a sensor issue.
I remember one time the computer aborted at T-0. The engines fired for a microsecond and stopped. Very impressive. But that was in the early days of F9.
That would be SES-9.

That landing did indeed look perfect.

What the heck was the slowly moving white line visible in the distant camera view? A barely moving wind turbine blade, viewed edge on?

8126AD12-4DEB-464A-9939-A642EB2EF30C.jpeg
4E515317-1537-482C-95CB-0300C4825E25.jpeg
42D9F128-C135-4E3B-8934-B0AF3E99C0C5.jpeg

Yes.. that was the blade of a very slow moving windmill.

As soon as I clicked on that video, I saw the straight white line streaking across and towards the rocket and I thought, Oh My.. that is a missile or a plane, the Russians have landed.

Reactions: Electroman

Strauss Wind Project FAQs said:
Q. How big are the blades? How many feet?
A. The blades are 220 ft long.

Q. How big are the nacelles and tower parts?
A. Nacelle: 32’ x 13‘ x 12’ Tower sections: Top: 102’ x 11’, Mid: 84’ x 14’, Bottom: 73’ x 15’.

Q. Are they as big and oversized/complicated as the wind turbine blades?
A. The nacelle and tower sections are smaller, but much heavier.

Q. How big are the actual turbines?
A. We are using both GE 3.8 and GE 1.79 models in the Strauss Project. When fully constructed the GE 3.8 models will be 492 ft tall (150m) and the GE 1.79 models will be 427 ft tall (130m) from foundation to blade tip.

The 492ft is probably to remain under 500ft.