Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink Group 4-15 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: May 14
Launch Window: 4:38pm EDT (1:38pm PDT, 20:38 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS - JRTI
Booster: B1073.1
Fairings: Reused
Mass: 53 satellites - 15.6 tonnes
Orbit: LEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 46th group of satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 4-15.

This will be SpaceX's 20th orbital launch of the year.

This will be the second new booster to be used this year.

This brings the fleet of F9 boosters up to 12:
B1049.10
B1051.12
B1052.4
B1058.12
B1060.12
B1061.7
B1062.6
B1063.4
B1067.4
B1069.1
B1071.2
B1073

There are 7 FH cores awaiting launches.

Last edited:
Why a new booster - that too for a low risk Starlink mission - when plenty of pre-flown boosters are sitting and available?

I think people need to start looking at it the opposite way... flight proven boosters are the ones that have demonstrated their reliability, and should be considered for higher risk missions. New unproven boosters can be broken in on low-risk missions, like Starlink launches,,,

Why a new booster - that too for a low risk Starlink mission - when plenty of pre-flown boosters are sitting and available?
Knowing how SpaceX rolls, they were probably hoping to use Starship by now, and this was their backup plan. Also those life leaders aren’t going to last forever. Until Starship is a thing, they need to be launching once a week meaning they need a fleet of around 12 boosters. As usual with an Elon company, they have a very robust backlog of customers.

Is this the mission where they recover the booster in the Caribbean?

Knowing how SpaceX rolls, they were probably hoping to use Starship by now, and this was their backup plan. Also those life leaders aren’t going to last forever. Until Starship is a thing, they need to be launching once a week meaning they need a fleet of around 12 boosters. As usual with an Elon company, they have a very robust backlog of customers.

Is this the mission where they recover the booster in the Caribbean?

To answer my question, I believe it is. In the Bahamas to be more precise.

Reactions: petit_bateau
So if this and 4-13 both launch as currently projected, there will be less than 12 hours between launches on opposite coasts. Amazing

Yeah, and new people to the industry aren't going to realize how hard it is to do this. Which will just cause them to think just how bad old space is and what a relic it is.

BTW, we are seeing it with military arms. The current Ukraine war is sucking up massive amounts of weapons which will take years to replenish at current production rates. This is allowing much more nimble startups to create and sell easier to manufacture weapons, which might not be as robust as the old weapons are, but are far cheaper and can be produced in large quantities. I'm thinking of the Switchblade suicide drone as an example.

1652303803014.png

As well as another awesome landing. The booster video feed stayed crisp and steady, from the start of the landing burn thru touchdown on the deck of JRTI.
The booster camera appeared to me to be different from previous missions. You could see parts of the camera housing and the image appeared sharper.

The booster video feed was near perfect during landing. And the booster made what looked like a perfect bullseye landing!
C79D1E94-DEA0-43F0-A1EF-8233C2F630B8.jpeg
3FAF4CEF-CDBF-48A9-88AD-DF22ABA7131E.jpeg

I used to watch live every F9 launch and landing but now I’m having a hard time keeping up and often catch the webcast later. It’s hard to keep up.

Also, this time I noticed that when stage sep occurred, instead of the usual sound of many people clapping in the background, it sounded like only a single person was clapping. ONE PERSON. Even the SpaceX employees are getting jaded.

The booster camera appeared to me to be different from previous missions. You could see parts of the camera housing and the image appeared sharper.

The booster video feed was near perfect during landing. And the booster made what looked like a perfect bullseye landing!

This was a brand new booster, so upgraded camera, avionics, and communications would be assumed.