Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink Group 5-9 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Launch Date: May 14
Launch Window: 12:48am EDT (9:48pm PDT on the 13th, 04:48 UTC on the 14th)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station (CCSFS), Florida
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS
Booster: B1067.11
Fairings: Reused - 7th and 8th
Mass: 56 Starlink 1.5 Satellites
Orbit: LEO
Yearly Launch Number: 31

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 74th group of satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 5-9. The Starlink Group 5-9 mission is headed to the 43º inclination shell of Starlink's second generation constellation. Satellites in this shell will be orbiting Earth in a 540km circular orbit at 43º inclination. This mission will carry 56 satellites into a 320x340km 43º orbit and from there they'll raise their orbits to operational altitude.

Starlink 5-5 launch:
344575626_3478801542405812_2545182933125631509_n.jpg

Last edited:
This launch will be a another milestone for SpaceX. If successful, this will be the 200th successful launch in a row in the Falcon program since the last failure (Amos 6 on September 3, 2016). Another important statistic is that, if successful, this will be the 117th landing in a row of an orbital class booster since the last failure.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and 808?
So Routine now- they had an all new crew on the consoles, I didn't recognize any of the voices, and the countdown guy almost didn't count down the last few seconds- He started at T-5 At first when he didn't start at T-10, I thought maybe it was a scrub.. I did like the almost exact bullseye, Very cool

So Routine now- they had an all new crew on the consoles, I didn't recognize any of the voices, and the countdown guy almost didn't count down the last few seconds- He started at T-5 At first when he didn't start at T-10, I thought maybe it was a scrub.. I did like the almost exact bullseye, Very cool
I have an image of the Mission Control guys talking about the latest video game and then saying, “oh crap, the rockets about to launch!” 😉

I have an image of the Mission Control guys talking about the latest video game and then saying, “oh crap, the rockets about to launch!” 😉
Or just that statement muffled by a mouth full of sandwich.

The first launches were historic events, with the entire SpaceX team present to cheer and hoot and holler like crazed maniacs, with carefully scripted explanations of everything going on. Things have transitioned to little more than a deadpan "Go Falcon 9. Go Starlink.". They should follow it up with a bored "Whatever".

For maximum effect, imagine that in the voice of Marvin the robot from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The first launches were historic events, with the entire SpaceX team present to cheer and hoot and holler like crazed maniacs, with carefully scripted explanations of everything going on. Things have transitioned to little more than a deadpan "Go Falcon 9. Go Starlink.". They should follow it up with a bored "Whatever".
Elon’s goal was to make launching rockets to orbit and beyond like flying a commercial plane over and over again with minimal maintenance and no drama. So far, SpaceX has made tremendous progress towards that goal.