Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink V1.5 - 2-1 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: September 13
Launch Window: 8:55 PDT (11:55 EDT)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California
Core Booster Recovery: ASDS - OCISLY
Booster: B1049-10
Fairings: Reused - Recovered from water by NRC Quest
Mass: 51 satellites at 260 kg each - 15,600 kg (34,500 lbs)
Orbit: LEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 30th batch of approximately 51 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink V2.0-L1. This will place the satellites in a polar orbit.

These are the newest design satellites designated version 1.5 featuring "laser inter-satellite links, which are needed for high latitudes and mid-ocean coverage".

Last edited:
How many Starlink batches have been in a polar orbit? Also first SL launch from VAB?

This will be the first dedicated polar Starlink launch of 60 satellites. They launched 10 on a rideshare back in January and a few more recently on the second rideshare. These are also the first to launch from Vandenburg (woohoo! I get to see rockets in the air again, I hope, depending on time of day and weather). These ones are rumored to have fully working laser links. The other polar ones also had lasers but unsure how beta they were. Then again, everything is beta/production with SpaceX.

What's the current thinking on the date for this. I've never see a rocket go up and I figure even from a distance it would be nice to cross that off the list. Any advice folks are willing to share. I looked at the websites that talked about watching launches from Vandenberg and we've book a room in one the hotels in the recommended area. My work is sufficiently flexible/remote these days that I can camp at hotel and work.

1629845338909.png

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW